Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Trouble with SNGWizard, getting frustrated

When I'm in EV mode on SNGWizard it's giving me bad advice and I'm trying to figure out the problem.

Sample hand

Blinds: 200/400

I'm UTG with 99.

UTG 3300
BTN 3300
SB 3300
BB 3600

In EV mode it tells me to fold, only pushing 4.7% of my hands. Obviously folding 99 is bad here so it's frustrating me. This is with the default calling ranges too.

My friend input the same hand into his version of SNGWizard in EV mode and it said to push.

Anyone have a solution? I was kind of hoping I'm just really stupid and there's some easy way to fix this.

I tried registering for the SNGwiz forum but the link in the email to activate my account doesn't work naturally. Yes I'm very bad at life.

Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this here, I just thought i'd have a better chance of getting help since alot of people posting in this section prob use SNGWizard.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Trouble with SNGWizard, getting frustrated

You and your friend are either using different ranges or a different minimum edge would be my guess.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Hmm, the different minimum edge thing sounds like it might be it. Is there a recommended minimum edge that you go by Devin?

Mine is at .25% right now.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, the different minimum edge thing sounds like it might be it. Is there a recommended minimum edge that you go by Devin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought SNGWhiz did some complicated calculation to come up with a minimum edge in each hand as a function of position and players remaining or something. In any case, you should be ignoring the "push/fold" output and looking at what $EV value it's calculating. Is that the same for both of you?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought SNGWhiz did some complicated calculation to come up with a minimum edge in each hand as a function of position and players remaining or something. In any case, you should be ignoring the "push/fold" output and looking at what $EV value it's calculating. Is that the same for both of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea you're right, it does do that, that's my bad.

Our minimum edge% for our push to be good is .25 for both of us, but his edge is .52 and mine is .20, hence it telling me to fold. It's just frustrating because we have everything the same.

Also, even his version only has him pushing 5.1% of hands (99+,AQ+) which is just silly.

We both actually have good results in SNGs, this has me feeling pretty stupid/confused though.

I do appreciate the responses though.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 PM

You have to be giving it different inputs to get different outputs. Are the calling and overcalling ranges the same? Are the $EV_push and $EV_fold values both different, or just one?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea you're right, it does do that, that's my bad.

Our minimum edge% for our push to be good is .25 for both of us, but his edge is .52 and mine is .20, hence it telling me to fold. It's just frustrating because we have everything the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably have different edge multipliers. Have a look at the options. It's at the top, I think.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, even his version only has him pushing 5.1% of hands (99+,AQ+) which is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you are avoiding very thin edges.

[ QUOTE ]
We both actually have good results in SNGs, this has me feeling pretty stupid/confused though.

I do appreciate the responses though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think SNG Wiz is quite sensitive to inputs. From what I can see, you need to play around a bit to figure out what settings match the hand ranges you most often come up against and the edge that you think you should risk at.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to be giving it different inputs to get different outputs. Are the calling and overcalling ranges the same? Are the $EV_push and $EV_fold values both different, or just one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I think I might see where I'm messing up now.

Our EV push values were 25.29/25.21 but our fold values were what was way off.

Question, if you were to input this hand in SNGWizard what calling ranges would you give the three players behind?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 AM

That's player dependent. If you want a default, you really need to figure that out yourself by thinking about how games generally play on the site you are at and so on.