Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 PM

Default is it obvious I don\'t play stud?

Where did I go wrong, probably multiple places lol. Was trying out Horse for low stakes today

7 Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (10.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (7.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (9.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (11.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (13.30 BB - $6.65)
Old 08-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: is it obvious I don\'t play stud?

Well, try to put villain on a hand. He can't be rolled by sixth street, he probably isn't on 4th since you have a 6 now, too, so I put him on AA or KK buried. You can see when he makes two pair, so it's now okay to call down unless he pairs his board. I would fold 6th, but you picked up the OESD, which gives you 6 outs if he has AA in the hole or 0 if he has KK in the hole. Aces are still more likely since you've seen one ace and two kings, so a call getting 10:1 is fine.

I would actually raise the river here since he can't have trip 6s, and two Ks and an A are dead for his overpair. And who knows, maybe he's worse than two big pair. Against a better player you would probably just call; but so many of his outs to have beaten you are gone here.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Actually, I think you played this better than most stud newbies in that you were aggressive. It seems most new players to stud like to just call a lot until they make at least two pair. Your raise getting the ace out on 3rd was a good play. When seat 1 caps it though you have to start wondering if he's rolled up or has aces- it will almost be one or the other (since you are representing kings).

The pot size on 3rd and the knowledge that he probably has aces should allow you to call until he pairs his board, since he cannot improve without you knowing it. You shouldn't be betting, though, since you are almost certainly behind.

When he does pair on sixth, though, you are probably done with the hand. I'll let the real experts here comment for sure, but even with an OESD you're drawing pretty slim (since three aces are likely dead and one 9 is). You are probably drawing to 6 outs against aces up- 2 queens, an ace, and 3 9s.

I would raise for value on the river since his most likely holding is aces up.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM

turns out he had KK in the hole and made a full house lol.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM

3rd street is like a conversation:

You complete: I have a big hand, maybe Kings!

He raises: I either don't believe you have Kings or I have kings beat (or both)

You reraise: I really do have Kings!

He caps: I don't care, I still have you beat!

After 3rd, I'd go into check/call mode. The problem is that the pot has gotten so large by 4th street that you have the odds to call down, especially when you pick up the straight draw.

I'd have raised the river as well, expecting him to have As and 6s.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:26 PM

I think you played it well save that you didn't raise the river.