Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 04:51 AM

Default I\'m between 2 LAGs, top pair, terrible?

UTG is ultra-maniac ~98/80+/2+ and he's on a rush, button us LAG ~50/~23/~1.5, button likes to play back UTG a lot and that usually happens on the turn, they build monster pots and usually show down a lot of crap, this happens HU most of the time because they make everyone fold.

Fist thing I want to know is what hands should I be calling from the BB when is 3-bets preflop on that spot. KQo looks marginal at best I think but I want to know wich ones are a call.

On the fop I called because button is very likely to rise the turn, On the turn button rised as expected, I was terrified by the sixes and more so when UTG 3-bet it with me still in the pot, I just wanted a showdown and that's why I just called the river.

The main question is generally how do you play against these guys?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (18.66 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.66 BB

Abelardo
Old 01-17-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Re: I\'m between 2 LAGs, top pair, terrible?

I'm sorry to bump this but nobody responded. Perhaps it's not a very interesting topic, but could someone put up some links regarding playing against total maniacs and LAGs in shorthanded games if possible, that would be very helpful, thank you.

Abelardo
Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 AM

I like it up to the part where you didn't 3-bet the turn.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:40 AM

use your read man!

wild games = wait for hands
Old 01-17-2006, 01:41 AM

u really need to start putting in bets on teh flop IMO. SInce u didn't do that, you really need to CR three bet that turn badly. What are u waiting for. THese guys are asking u to take their money, and this board is very safe for your hand.

I'm not giving utg credit for anything right now, and I have TP, so I need to put in as many bets as is reasonably possible
Old 01-17-2006, 02:07 AM

Fold preflop. You definitely need to put some more bets in somewhere. I'd probably raise the flop and give the maniac more space to hang himself. If you're going to get scared out of raising the turn there, I think you need to leave the table. Against real maniacs you need to make the most of the times you have a good hand.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

not in the slightest. In fact, if we were suited a cap would be reasonable considering the opponents. KQ is generally a three betting hand short handed, so I don't know why on earth you are wanting to fold PF. Seriously, that is just bad. UTG is a complete lagtard and is raising with almost everything, and the OP noted that the button was a lag that was playing back at utg. This is a perfect spot to take a flop and see what happens, cause if we hit nice(like here) then we can expect to take down a nice pot