Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: 1/2: Thought it was a Cooler

[ QUOTE ]
So like standard for TAG Villain to flat-call a reraise for 15% of his stack OOP with pocket 4s and then check-shove when he misses?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's any decent at all, he should be shoving this flop if he called with a small pair pf.

Post this hand in 6-max and I guarantee everyone will be like "sooooooo standard."
Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Yeah, no kidding. Post a "fold preflop with Queens" question, and you'll get flamed to oblivion, doesn't mean you shouldn't fold Queens in FR.

Obv if he called with a small-pair he shouldn't be set mining. IMO, he doesn't call with a small pair in the first place. Our line looks decently strong. He ISOd a half-stack UTG limper from middle and we reraised. This isn't like battle of the blinds or even cutoff vs. blinds. He really doesn't have reason to believe our range here is anything but AK some AQ, and big pairs, unless OP is leaving out some info.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM

I really don't like the 3-bet pre-flop with this hand in position. When you get called, the pot is so big and catching top pair is death. You are just crushed against his range at that point. Unless he's really loose and calling OOP with a big range, you can't catch top pair and get away and you are hardly ever going to be good when all-in.

I just don't think you're going to see a hand you beat here all that often and when you do, you're flipping coins against a biggish draw.

All of this was set up bloating the pot pre-flop. You killed you're positional advantage at that point and set up the pot to allow him to put in a bet that you have to call when he's ahead. If you think he's coming in light, see a flop, float it and take it away on the turn. You have a much better chance of winning a mid-sized pot, which this hand is built for.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Unless you're 3-betting a pretty wide range and opening up the villains 3-bet calling range, 3-betting AJ just seems like a mistake in general. It would seem to me that it plays really badly when you make your hand in the bigger pre-flop pot. I would think you would be better off 3-betting things like 89s/9Ts/TJs where your made hands are much less likely to be a trap. Or am I thinking about this wrong? In this case QTip beats a frisky pair of Ts and some draws, but mostly if the villain wants to be all in, you have to call and can't be too happy about it. No?

6-max this does seem super-standard because 3-bet/3-bet call ranges are much more liberal. It hasn't been my experience that this is true in full ring.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I said that I don't like the 3bet I mean that I don't like it against karl. I think its fine as a standard vs. unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karl is one of the more aggressive raising regs at ps 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah its a passive game

[ QUOTE ]
if you 3bet AJ and hit TPTK you can't fold. if you're 3betting someone who is only shoving the nuts on this flop, don't 3bet AJ.

gg.

[/ QUOTE ]

that about covers everything else I'd have to say about the hand
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So like standard for TAG Villain to flat-call a reraise for 15% of his stack OOP with pocket 4s and then check-shove when he misses?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's any decent at all, he should be shoving this flop if he called with a small pair pf.

Post this hand in 6-max and I guarantee everyone will be like "sooooooo standard."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about as relevant as saying: "Post this hand in black jack and I guarantee everyone will be sticking."

Applying 6-handed advice to full-ring is often about the best way to go about getting stacked.

3-betting pre with AJ is really just a bluff- and not a habit to get into too frequently. Mistakes on early streets often magnify as the hand progresses.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 PM

i don't think he's loose enough to justify 3beting pre, with the utg limp and stuff its just not a great spot for it

I think its fold~<=call>3bet

I would check flop here a ton of the time, and honestly (and once again since i think karl is a nit and you shouldn't have 3bet him in the firstplace), i'd fold to the shove as played.

And guys, blanket rules about how to play tptk in a 3bet pot are pretty unacceptable critique, and over all are a poor way to justify/condemn ppls play.

Its not "turning your hand into a bluff" if you b/f here. Its extremely conceivable that he c/c's with some part of his range.

I always hate rules like "why'd u XXX if you weren't going to get all in on XXX." Tons of different situations occur in poker, and it is often correct to make a play with the intention making another, but then realizing that the play you were intending on making is the incorrect one.

I was in a session with a coach a few weeks ago where i 3bet an aggro regular with KQs, the flop was Kxx, and i bet/folded. It was the correct play. Obviously on most flops with K or Q i was planning on autobetcalling, but in this spot a fold was good.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 PM

yeah with more thought about this hand, i think the flop is 100% check, not being results-oriented.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in a session with a coach a few weeks ago where i 3bet an aggro regular with KQs, the flop was Kxx, and i bet/folded. It was the correct play. Obviously on most flops with K or Q i was planning on autobetcalling, but in this spot a fold was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

so...Kxx flop, what was the texture that you b/f if previously you were very confident in b/c?

KJT is a "good" flop. Maybe K78 is one of the worst ones i suppose.

thanks again for the insight. One has to wonder, if you're not stacking off here, then you should only be 3/betting AJ as a bluff (against this type of villain) right?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM

it was actually a Qxx, but the flop texture wasn't the factor. It was the fact that he INSTA crai'ed me. That along with the positions we were in and the flow of the game dictated to me that the majority of his range consisted of KK/AA.