Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Learning to play guitar- online resources

If I had to start over again I'd forget tab existed.

It's much harder to read notes once you're used to tab because tab will show results almost overnight. The downside is you'll only learn how to mimic existing riffs/songs. You'll hit a road block very fast and in the end you'll think "uhh, ok so I can play my favorite songs but I have no idea what I'm doing".

The actual mechanics of playing the guitar is not difficult. Knowing which notes to play is the hard part.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to start over again I'd forget tab existed.

It's much harder to read notes once you're used to tab because tab will show results almost overnight. The downside is you'll only learn how to mimic existing riffs/songs. You'll hit a road block very fast and in the end you'll think "uhh, ok so I can play my favorite songs but I have no idea what I'm doing".

The actual mechanics of playing the guitar is not difficult. Knowing which notes to play is the hard part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ. You can reach the very highest standard of rock/jazz/blues etc, guitar playing without ever learning to read a single note.( ie tabs and playing by ear as opposed to sheet music)

However, the important thing is to learn the theory of contemporary music at a very early stage. By this I mean learning chord structures scales and modes and fully understanding. IMO, there is no substitute for getting a real teacher for this learning stage, even if it is just for a short period of time. I had these types of lessons during my first year of guitar, and six years down the line, I really appreciate the great extent to which it was beneficial, and I really feel on a higher level to the majority of guitarists Ive come across.

You Tube actaully has tons of lessons now, and obv for free. If you're looking to build rock technique, I highly recommend Paul Gilberts, Intense Rock 1 and 2, as well as Guitar From Mars 1 and 2. Both of which available on Youtube last time checked.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can reach the very highest standard of rock/jazz/blues etc, guitar playing without ever learning to read a single note.( ie tabs and playing by ear as opposed to sheet music)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your definition of very high standard?

After a little over half a year of reading tab I was able to play a lot of metal songs with very good accuracy. Some of the more difficult solos gave me trouble, but for the most part if I wanted to learn a song it was as simple as finding the tab online or in a book and spending a few days of hardcore practicing.

This doesn't mean I learned how to play metal though. I felt like a monkey -- just inputting tab notes a little bit at a time until I memorized it.

It wasn't until I ignored tabs and really buckled down into learning what you mentioned before I learned how to play. It was a complete transformation from "monkey memorizing notes" to "actually knowing what I was doing".

Suddenly I was able to sit down for extended amounts of time just playing whatever came into my head. Instead of it sounding like random crap, it sounded "right".

Prior to that when I tried to play whatever it took much much longer (mostly trial and error) before it resembled something that sounded good. It also had very little flow.

The only way I can describe is it, it's like trying to speak a foreign language without learning the alphabet/grammar/etc. If you spend some time, yes you'll be able to speak a few sentences and words, but if you know the language then you can skip all the grunt work and just let it flow.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:38 PM

Gotta disagree with you there Shoelace - you were able to "sit down...playing whatever came into your head..., etc" not because you stopped reading tab, but because you had gotten better as a guitar player. Over time, this happens.

I, and many other players (ie: Eric Clapton/"name famous blues/jazz musician here") can let it flow without being able to read notation. I have a very basic level of reading ability.

Tab ain't bad - it's very practical for the guitar. The good thing about programs like Guitar Pro and Powertab is that they show you the notation too, as well as play what it's supposed to sound like.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a few lessons. Seriously, take 3-4 lessons and practice that for a few months / learn on your own. Go back, get a few more lessons and do it again. Even great guitarists go in for lessons from time to time to brush up on scales, chords, apreggio's etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I read an old Randy Rhoads interview where he said he just looked for people in whatever town he was in during his tour and get lessons, pick their brain and [censored]. Lessons/playing with others is definitely a great way to get better.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can reach the very highest standard of rock/jazz/blues etc, guitar playing without ever learning to read a single note.( ie tabs and playing by ear as opposed to sheet music)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your definition of very high standard?

After a little over half a year of reading tab I was able to play a lot of metal songs with very good accuracy. Some of the more difficult solos gave me trouble, but for the most part if I wanted to learn a song it was as simple as finding the tab online or in a book and spending a few days of hardcore practicing.

This doesn't mean I learned how to play metal though. I felt like a monkey -- just inputting tab notes a little bit at a time until I memorized it.

It wasn't until I ignored tabs and really buckled down into learning what you mentioned before I learned how to play. It was a complete transformation from "monkey memorizing notes" to "actually knowing what I was doing".

Suddenly I was able to sit down for extended amounts of time just playing whatever came into my head. Instead of it sounding like random crap, it sounded "right".

Prior to that when I tried to play whatever it took much much longer (mostly trial and error) before it resembled something that sounded good. It also had very little flow.

The only way I can describe is it, it's like trying to speak a foreign language without learning the alphabet/grammar/etc. If you spend some time, yes you'll be able to speak a few sentences and words, but if you know the language then you can skip all the grunt work and just let it flow.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that you dont need to be able to READ SHEET MUSIC. I clearly stated that I think it is essential to learn music theory,

and TBH , it is much better for an electric guitarist to learn to read tabs over actual notaion/sheet music, as the majorit of the great gutarists who came to fame in the "shred" era of the 1980s will tell you.

The transformation you described from "monkey memorizing notes" to "actually knowing what I was doing" sounds more like what happens to my students when they learn fudemental theory as opposed to learning notation.

..and to answer your question,my definiton of very good(to name just a few who would not adivse learning through site reading):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s

http://youtube.com/watch?v=87Iz3RHZNDQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RJodwVQK3B4
Old 07-07-2007, 10:09 PM

It's also important for the begining player to feel success as soon as possible, otherwise some will quit. Notation is a struggle for many beginners, tab is easy - it gives them a feeling like they can learn guitar. With the people I've taught this has proved essential.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's also important for the begining player to feel success as soon as possible, otherwise some will quit. Notation is a struggle for many beginners, tab is easy - it gives them a feeling like they can learn guitar. With the people I've taught this has proved essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Also, thats why the vast majority kids who start to learn classical guitar end up quitting.(and cos its not cool obv).
Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 PM

As people have said, no need to learn how to read music unless you want to be a classical guitar player/really take your musicianship to professional level.

Still, so many great players don't know how to read music.
I think taking the time to learn how to sight read could be better spent doing other things on guitar depending on what you want.
If you really want to be a dedicated, well rounded musician by all means learn to read music, but with tab, it's easy to be a good or great player without reading. Guitar just works in such a way where you don't need to.

It's definitely awesome to be able to read music (and can give you the bigger picture and more of a love for music overall) but if you just want to keep it casual, really no need to.