Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Action
Call 30 63.83%
Re-raise to 300 14 29.79%
Push 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Official - Will The Fed Cut Rates? on 9/18 Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch! You can't be too happy about those puts right now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Understatement of the Day! I am long on most of my securities so my day was about a wash instead of a sizable increase. I had this brainstorm (AKA: Brainfart) that the extended GM talks would either breakdown or at the very least keep GM from going up, no such luck, my position tanked. I took my losses and went on looking for the next best thing.

One thing I did do correctly was find CRBL on a stock screener run I made this weekend and picked some up yesterday, that softened the blow on my puts substantially. Ran another screener tonight and up popped ETM, I may pick up some but I hate radio stations, wouldn't even consider it without the high dividends. LOL

Jimbo

PS: In case anyone cares I am still long in MSFT CBRL NAT BAC and CAT. Sold my AUY and TTWO last week.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 AM

Jim- a dividend is a lousy reason to buy a stock. I don't know ETM but popped into yahoo payout rate: 608% - seems sustainable. If you're stuck on using a stock tracker to make your decisions, at least filter for companies w high return on equity rather than high dividends ( you're just creating more taxes for yourself, instead of letting all of the companies earnings compound tax free)
Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the response meditate89 but dividends payed as a return on capital are taxed the same as long term gains so I dont see that as a downside. I rarely make my decisions soley by uisng a stock screener but have made a very large return so far this decade on the ones I chose to purchase. 100 times better than using a broker. Primarily I seek long term appreciation with the added benefit of dividrnds.

Jimbo