Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Forcing youself to play or Playing whenever you feel comfortable?

If you play SNGs, it's good to lose the first few. Then you'll play better and more relaxed.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play SNGs, it's good to lose the first few. Then you'll play better and more relaxed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a serious post? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM

I think the guy who said it was related to the subconscious is right. Deep down it can be scary to be risking significant amounts of money playing poker and you may be worried about donating some back. You also enjoy the feeling of success, being a winner, and having extra money and playing and droppin a handfull of buyings on downswings will change that frame of mind.
Force yourself to feel comfortable playing is the key
Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I've yet to find a comfortable balance. If I only played when I felt like playing I doubt I would play much, but at the stakes I play I really need to focused.

If I'm really not feeling it, I don't play. But if I'm sort of meh about playing (which I feel about half the time) I'll usually check out the tables as I'm browsing the internet and if I find lots of good tables I usually find the motivation to play.

Overall I feel like I need to be putting in 60K hands/month. I don't usually let myself get too far behind pace because I know I'll have to make it up.

I think a lot of the resistance to playing has to do with the fear of a big downswing. Hopefully, over time, as I gain more confidence in my game this psychological pressure will ease.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the guy who said it was related to the subconscious is right. Deep down it can be scary to be risking significant amounts of money playing poker and you may be worried about donating some back. You also enjoy the feeling of success, being a winner, and having extra money and playing and droppin a handfull of buyings on downswings will change that frame of mind.
Force yourself to feel comfortable playing is the key

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually i feel indifferent whether i win or lose because i am confident i can win, but when i go days without playing i feel i will forget my winning ways and then when i do play i play horrible for some reason. But i've been playing everyday now a few games a days winning small amounts and letting it accumalate rather then playing many or if im in a mini slump i'll stop, figure out whats wrong with my game and correct it. I guess my memory is shot so i need to remember my winning ways better