Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Subsidy = Crap

[ QUOTE ]
please google "Brazil" and "ethanol" and be educated on how unreliable these kinds of posts can be.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Brazillian ethanol program required MASSIVE SUBSIDIES to get on their own two feet. I'm not sure if the Brazillian govt still has to subsidize their ethanol industry. The USA can not follow the Brazillian ethanol model because the USA does not have enough land suitable for growing sugar cane. Corn based ethanol is extremely inefficent. Sugar cane based ethanol is much better.

Like I said, corn-based ethanol is crap...
And realize that I forget more knowledge than you will every learn in a lifetime...
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weather Channel Founder calls Global Warming Biggest Scam in History

Discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

He's an oil industry tool obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but since you mention it newsbusters and people that control ICECAP are both on Exxons payroll. I find it curious how this seems to be your defacto sarcastic response to everything on this topic. As far as Coleman well he was a TV weather personality since he was a freshman in college. It's true that he helped start the weather channel but that too is more about TV land than actual science. Coleman was fired from the weather channel after only one year despite it's success. He's known for his crazy antics and using cute little words like "thorms" or "thowers". He's a TV personality and nothing more. Just because he's a meteorologist doesn't mean squat. Many T.V. meteorologists don't even have a bachelors in science.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys know "the Weather Channel Founder", John Coleman, is just a TV weatherman and not a climatologist, right?:

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-b...lobal_warming/

"I say this knowing you probably won’t believe a me, a mere TV weatherman, challenging a Nobel Prize, Academy Award and Emmy Award winning former Vice President of United States. So be it.

I have read dozens of scientific papers. I have talked with numerous scientists. I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct. There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."

Well, I feel better already! A TV weather guy has "read dozens of papers", "studied", and "talked to numerous scientists" and he's sure there's no problem. I'm not sure why anyone even takes global warming seriously after this.

[/ QUOTE ]

"dozens of papers" should be a key indicator that this man is uneducated on the topic. I know at least four people that have read over 300 peer review journals and probably a 1,000 scholarly letters/posts on the topic even though it's not even their own field. I read/skim/review a minimum of a dozen papers a day in my own line of work.

[ QUOTE ]
After Al Roker announced his skepticism, I thought we'd be done with this debate, but now that the TV weather guy who dreamed up The Weather Channel has thrown in his two cents, I think we should pretty much forget about this nonsense now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at Rokers bio on his personal website it appears he only has a BA in communications. Under current standards set by the AMS he wouldn't be allowed to earn an AMS seal and be a TV weatherman due to a lack of a B.S. in a related field. Things are changing (very slowly) in the AMS which is long overdue IMO.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at Rokers bio on his personal website it appears he only has a BA in communications. Under current standards set by the AMS he wouldn't be allowed to earn an AMS seal and be a TV weatherman due to a lack of a B.S. in a related field. Things are changing (very slowly) in the AMS which is long overdue IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was completely joking about Roker's position on global warming. I have no idea what it is. I was just mocking the notion that we should care what one of his peers thinks.

If Al Roker came out and announced global warming skepticism, people would likely ignore it, if not openly mock him. But when one of his fellow TV weathermen announces his global warming skepticism, the right-wing noise machine like Newsbusters laughably proclaims it meaningful news.

Should we ask Ted Turner what he thinks about broadcast journalism news standards and use that as fodder to claim...well, anything? Hey, he dreamed up a network dedicated to 24-hour news!

But no, according to NewsBusters, ignoring what some TV weatherguy who's "thought about this" and "read some papers on it" is clear evidence the liberal media is 'silencing' all of the skeptics.

Right wing noise machine at it's finest:

1) Spend a long time complaining and crafting a narrative about the "liberal" media ignoring you and your point of view
2) Find someone irrelevant to espouse your point of view using meaningless arguments like "I've read about it" and "Trust me, I know"
3) Wait for the inevitable silence, as even your average hack journalist doesn't much give a crap what some retired TV weather personality has to say about global warming
4) Claim that silence and the lack-of-attention paid to said random irrelevant commentator is prima facie evidence that the narrative about liberal media bias silencing global warming skeptics is true
5) Rinse, repeat
Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Subsidy = Crap

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa, easy there. You can review all my posts and find that I almost never agree with Felix, but I think he's right about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are all of the scientist part of a government conspiracy to take over the world?

I wish people could be more rational concerning there Libertarian views. I know its a very romantic and easy position to say that everything the government does it evil; but it gets tiresome.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

here's the parallel. in 1960, humans would have spaceships and walk on the moon in about 100 years (ok I'm guessing it's not important) with advancing technology and private enterprise, etc. but for some reason (ok, military) US/USSR decided to devote tremendous resources to do it, *ahead of it's natural time*. and they did it.

what I'm saying is that if CO2 is so bad that we can't wait 100 years (or whatever) for the natural scientific progression of solar power, and the gov is saying something must be done, then why don't they speed up solar power research/tech the way they sped up the space program.

seems logical to me.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what I'm saying is that if CO2 is so bad that we can't wait 100 years (or whatever) for the natural scientific progression of solar power, and the gov is saying something must be done, then why don't they speed up solar power research/tech the way they sped up the space program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's far from clear that the necessary levels of efficiency are achievable without fundamental advances, and because it's almost always a bad idea to put all of your eggs in one basket.

Yes, there should be more investment in solar technology. You are over-simplifying the problem however.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain why I should care about his opinion.

Lots of scientists saying man made global warming is a very likely possibilty = irrational cultist conspiracy

One guy says it isnt = must be true.

Who is it who is being cultist and irrational?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because it's far from clear that the necessary levels of efficiency are achievable without fundamental advances, and because it's almost always a bad idea to put all of your eggs in one basket.

[/ QUOTE ]

the link I posted said solar will be competitive within 10 years. nanotechnololgy is what, 10-20 years old?

even if what you say is true, wouldn't it make sense to use the carbon tax to fund things like solar nano research?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, but since you mention it newsbusters and people that control ICECAP are both on Exxons payroll. I find it curious how this seems to be your defacto sarcastic response to everything on this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL it's not sarcastic, just front running the inevitable slam. You didn't disappoint me. Kind of like predicting that the price of oil would rise substantially on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 and recommending people buy oil company stocks with both fists.

[sarcasm]BTW I realize that green movement is pure and that no tools are being paid to promote their agenda. I also realize nobody promoting "green" will make a penny off of getting their agenda implemented.[/sarcasm]

But hey I took your advice and purchased carbon offsets from TerraPass for a year so I'm cool, sort of like Al Gore is cool in offsetting his behemouth carbon footprint. Maybe not Nobel Peace Prize winning cool but still pretty good.