Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Bush will not retreat from Iraq

[ QUOTE ]
Do you seriously believe that Iraqis will be better off if the US forces started withdrawing today?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But the U.S. Taxpayer will, as will those who won't have to sign up for the draft.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would it be ok to say, that according to poll, only 9% of iraqis support the idea US-led forces should stay in iraq after 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - at the time the poll was taken. But in two years time, I suspect that there will be more than 9% wanting Coalition forces to stay.

[ QUOTE ]
by reading a poll one might get an idea it would be good to determine a timetable for withdraw.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be reasonable if you think that the poll respondents were good at planning a sophisticated political & military strategy to make Iraq stable in the future.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We can't sustain the surge without the draft. The generals say we cannot extend the tour of soldiers beyond 15 months without dire consequences.

Are you ready to sign up for your draft card? Canada won't take you in this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Australian Government has ruled out conscription for any situation that Australia is not directly attacked, so this is irrelevant.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you seriously believe that Iraqis will be better off if the US forces started withdrawing today?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But the U.S. Taxpayer will, as will those who won't have to sign up for the draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad that you admit that you are willing to sacrifice Iraqi lives to reduce the strain on the tax bills of your neighbours. It must be wonderful to be able to make that choice.

Of course, while I would prefer that US citizens pay lower taxes, I think that the value of human lives has a higher value to me.