Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Live 20/40 flop and turn decisions.

20/40 at bay101. Some people have left, and we've gotten down to 5 handed. My image is kind of weak tight. Player to my left, sb in the hand, is tilty and stupid.

Folds to me on the button, and I open with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Sb cold calls bb folds.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Sb bets out, I raise, he calls.

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he donks again.

Turn play? Opinions on the flop raise? I've asked 3 people about this hand and no one is quite certain, advice please? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Live 20/40 flop and turn decisions.

I muck that pre-flop most of the time fwiw.

On the turn, raising isn't horrible because you have lots e-kitty. However, it would suck having to muck for 1 bet when SB donks the river though. I think a turn raise would be a lot more convincing if you had called the flop. The way things went down I wouldn't be surprised if villain had something like K-8. SB donked the flop, called your raise and then hit the turn.

One thing to consider: if SB had a 9 and bet/called the flop intending to bet/3-bet the turn, maybe SB aint such a donk after all.

Edited to say I call the turn and fold the river UI, bet (if checked to) or raise the river if I hit the straight or flush and check (if checked to) or call the river if I hit a pair.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's time to rack up and leave.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Is it just me, or is semibluffing the turn instead more effective most of the time in spots like this (even without the flush draw)? Although with a "tilty and stupid" player, I don't know if I'd raise either street UI.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:49 PM

So far so good.

I like a turn raise too, mostly because your opponent steams and is stupid, and if you win a showdown after playing it like that he will probably go on monkey tilt, and that's fun for everybody!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Words of wisdom if ever I heard them. I assume you advocate raising the turn. Putting in multiple bets pre-flop, flop and turn against a donkey with 8-hi is definately the key to poker nirvanna.

Edited to say Fianchetto has a valid meta-game point to consider.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Words of wisdom if ever I heard them. I assume you advocate raising the turn. Putting in multiple bets pre-flop, flop and turn against a donkey with 8-hi is definately the key to poker nirvanna.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever floats your boat, but not stealing with a hand that has good equity against two randoms when you have the button is a situation that makes me skrrd.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Pause for like 4 seconds and raise the turn, you're deciding if your hand is good and you've decided that it is. That K is a good card for him to be betfolding.

Dave is right, if it's correct to fold 87s there then you are probably not in a profitable situation.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM

I said "mostly" fold. I play lots of short handed poker and I raise plenty on the button. The deciding factor for me in this spot is that one of the blinds is liable to play back at me with garbage just for the thrill of it.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said "mostly" fold. I play lots of short handed poker and I raise plenty on the button. The deciding factor for me in this spot is that one of the blinds is liable to play back at me with garbage just for the thrill of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play lots of short handed poker too and I'm sure we run into the same types of players. I mostly raise and I *know* I steal less than the average player here.