Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Default metagame strategy - playing extremely loose against mini-stacks

I have taken to playing extremely loose against mini stacks ($20 on a 50/1, 40 on 1/2 etc) 20bb or less; As an aggro player preflop one will find themselves in lots of spots where they shouldnt really call a reraise from a smallstack as there is little or no implied odds; and often your hands are going to be dominated.

This harks back to the thread about oop being a 'losing' proposition....

this is also a losing proposition....

HOWEVER; there is, i believe, a trade off with your image against the deep stacks; it looks as if you are calling reraises with hands that perform poorly against a reraisers range (eg akq7 or somesuch); e.g. trading small mistakes against some opponents for larger mistakes by other opponents

What do you guys think? any other trade offs in omaha you can think of?

Does anyone else do this... if so for these reasons or others?

thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: metagame strategy - playing extremely loose against mini-stacks

I think a good deepstack would see through your plan.

A deepstack dumb enough to fall for it probably isn't the type to pay attention to what you are doing to someone else.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 PM

At the level you're playing, most deep stacks have a defined style/formula they stick with. In other words, they really don't give a crap about how you're playing.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 PM

..and multitablers rely on their HUDs for the most part and most of the time they wont see your advertisement.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM

OP, I have been doing this for years and find that while I mostly break even or am up a bit on the regular shortstackers in my games, I really do get some obscenely bad calls from other deepstacks at my tables...
Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM

As long as there's another deepstacked (and worse than me) player that is likely to call I will almost always call a reraise from a shorty. On the rare occasion I do fold it's against the very tight shorties that don't really seem to exist on full tilt.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM

I almost never fold to shorties' reraises, though this is largely because I'm a degen/action junkie rather than as part of a sound strategy. It definitely can help you to get action from some opponents once they see you're willing to gamble though.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 AM

One thing I love is when I'm sitting at a table with like 5 buy-ins and some shortstacker plays back at me light, doubles up and manages to build a big stack off the nits that just saw him shove all in pre with like QJJ6. At least 80% of the time I get that stack unless he leaves the table.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 AM

Your actually better off shoving all-in rather than calling. Of course there are some exceptions to this, but say your playing your normal game and raise the CO with 8752 one suit or something, and your raised all in by someone with 20bbs, then you should shove and not call. All-ins are usually better advertising type situations than call, because a multi-tabler many times will not give a [censored] about your call fold, but will be able to see what you shoved all-in with right in front of his face, not to mention if you have 7bb invested already, unless you have trips you already have an easy all-in as you will have something like 28-13.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your actually better off shoving all-in rather than calling. Of course there are some exceptions to this, but say your playing your normal game and raise the CO with 8752 one suit or something, and your raised all in by someone with 20bbs, then you should shove and not call. All-ins are usually better advertising type situations than call, because a multi-tabler many times will not give a [censored] about your call fold, but will be able to see what you shoved all-in with right in front of his face, not to mention if you have 7bb invested already, unless you have trips you already have an easy all-in as you will have something like 28-13.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree completely; that right there is fully playing into a good shortstacks strategy. Call/folding is IMO necessary against a shortstack because for a good one, their range is usually so small when they 3bet preflop. I would never recommend over-shoving a shortstack 3bet when it has been smooth-called by a deepstack unless you are doing it for value with 89TJ or you have a hand such as KKxx and are trying to create a sidepot with a deeper stack in which you are the slight favorite pre flop. Other stacks, at least at the higher levels, will notice loose play regardless of calls or 4bet shoves; shoves simply make you a longterm loser against shortstacks and further validates their assumption that playing from a shortstack is profitable.. Both of which are bad things to do.