Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Political Science Majors?...

Hey everyone im thinking about majoring in political science and am wondering if anyone majored in this themselves and what you do now? Also what California Universities would you recommend for this major?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Political Science Majors?...

I am a senior at the U of Minnesota majoring in polisci. I have completed almost all of my polisci credits, so I can answer any questions you have. I have something like a 3.6 in the major.

In general, it's a lot of reading and a lot of writing. If you can write well and are willing to regurgitate what the professors say in your papers, you should be fine. Last semester I wrote well over 200 pages of academic writing for my 4 polisci classes.

Do you have any specific questions? Feel free to ask. I know nothing about Cali Univs.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 AM

I am a PS major at Berkeley, about to graduate.

Poli Sci is pretty easy if you can write, that's pretty much all it is. You'll have a midterm, a term paper and a final in every class, rarely do you have homework or anything like that in your upper divisions.

For Poli Sci, Berkeley is probably the best in California, but it's got a pretty liberal bend. (Although not nearly as much as you hear / would imagine - two of my best professors here have been Conservatives) UCLA and Stanford are obviously top notch as well. UCSB, USC, UCSD are all really good schools too, but I don't know anything about the PS program.

There are also a million majors like Poli Sci, ranging from Mass Comm to History to PEIS at Berkeley (Political Economies of Industrial Societies) so you can find a niche as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:23 PM

What im really wondering is what type of job oppurtunities are out there with this major? What type of career are you planning on having? What type of salary can you get from having a political science major? I dont really want to go into the law field, and am nervous that i will take this major and find myself taking up a low paying job that im not interested in. I do love politics however and understanding how governments work. Critical thinking is my passion.

What type of gpa did you have goldenbears? And did you transfer from high school or a community college? I live real close to Berkeley and wouldn't mind going there but doubt i can get in with my current 3.2 gpa. However i still have 35 or so units to take, and therefore can boost this gpa a lot higher.

Other then writing and reading a lot, is the major hard?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 PM

Poli Sci degree = Government job
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poli Sci degree = Law School

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I have a degree in Poli Sci from FIU. It is basically a lot of reading and writing, moreso than almost any other major in my school. I honestly wish I had majored in something a little more practical, such as economics or statistics.

Political Science has little practical application outside of school, at least when it comes to getting a job. What you will definitely learn is how to write well, which is obviously a very useful skill in real life. I have met some people that were successful in getting jobs in politics, in some form of another, but it has been quite rare. Most people that do Political Science try to get into law school.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM

PS education basically gives you an awareness of the world, current events and the way things work and makes you a better writer. It will literally help you anything you do, but it won't really help you that much in any one field except, of course, politics - which is pretty narrow.

Fever - a lot of poli sci majors go into business. Out of my 3 good friends that are PS majors, one is doing politics, one is doing real estate and the other is doing marketing. I plan to go to business school next year right out of college, and then go into business.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 PM

I am a science major and have taken 3 poly sci courses. My mom is a lawyer so maybe this is why i like them, but they have been by far the best electives i have taken. If was good at writing and did not like science i would do that.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 AM

Hmmm now im really debating on whether or not to major in this field. XxGodJrxX what do you do now as a job with your political science major? Im so stressed out on trying to decide on something its insane..
Old 08-15-2007, 11:33 AM

You haven't started school yet? When you do, just take some survey classes and see if you like it...