Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: ez river fold with flush? 25/50/100 Live game

Given the way you played it you have to call. I'd expect him to show you 7h8h or 8h9h a lot of the time. Your hand doesn't look like a flush. Your hand looked to me like AxQh or AxKh. He can be value betting much worse hands.

I dont know how I feel about the turn bet. Sometimes I like to keep the pot small when I'm out of position with a hand like this on the turn, especially when I think my opponent will bet a hand he wouldnt call with, i.e., a lot of hands on that board. I dont hate a bet on the turn now that I think about it, but $4K is a terrible amount. I like $2500 much better.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the way you played it you have to call. I'd expect him to show you 7h8h or 8h9h a lot of the time. Your hand doesn't look like a flush. Your hand looked to me like AxQh or AxKh. He can be value betting much worse hands.

I dont know how I feel about the turn bet. Sometimes I like to keep the pot small when I'm out of position with a hand like this on the turn, especially when I think my opponent will bet a hand he wouldnt call with, i.e., a lot of hands on that board. I dont hate a bet on the turn now that I think about it, but $4K is a terrible amount. I like $2500 much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like your point about the turn bet (both the bet itself and the size). Betting the turn here is not always great and the size is awful.

Btw, I had the 9h so 89hh is impossible. If we assume he has a flush it's a fold and it's not close, if we can assume he can value bet worse hands than a flush, it's a call, but his turn action makes no sense with a set/two pair, thus his river shoving range is much narrower, and I think his bluffing frequency here is extremely low based on the fact he stacked me a few hands before and seems he could be on tilt.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 PM

dlp,

this reads like you made a live read > relied on the betting line.

disregarding your turn bet size, his turn minraise is curious. that bet size is "wrong" for all hands given pot size and remaining money unless he's trying to feel you out or strongly suspects you have a weaker flush. then he pushes. hmmmm. looks fishy enough to me. i'd call as a default. however, i'd take my time and chat him up first, see if i can get a better read on him. sounds like you had a good physical read and did not mention it here.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM

dlp,

I will agree that Artie is a big winner-long term,as you say.. correct?

GREAT players make plays that will perplex you,and make little sense.They are NOT textbook players:

"if we can assume he can value bet worse hands than a flush, it's a call, but his turn action makes no sense with a set/two pair"

If he can make you fold a flush having you beat OR with air,whether it makes sense or not...is why he is a winning player!

Once again,just based on your recent HH with him playing some big pots,folding here IMO is a big mistake,esp.for future meta-game implications.

Just my 2 cents,
~stephen
Old 09-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Artie=Akula from PS, right?

Anyway, these types of posts are really repetitive man.

Gaucho's posting formula:

Step one: Detailed background, what color the guys shirts are, what they ate for dinner two weeks ago, boxers or briefs, etc.

Step two: Proceeding hands. These are either: someone bluffed off all their chips to me, or I got cold decked/bad beat.

Step three: Tell the hand story and make it so incredibly clear what the answer should be by the tone of the hand. This post is an exception, because it includes results, but typically it is something like "I was in a game, one dollar, two dollar no limit. First villain straddles for 200, next one opens for 4k, I call with T8o in the button. Do not question preflop play please. We are 20k deep (live games play v deep!). Flop comes AK8. He bets flop 4k, I float. Turn comes 8. Villain scratches his left nutsack which is a clear indication he is not bluffing. He pushes for 12k...

What do I do?"

The responses are either witty, like when LA poker asked you for a more information, or they are good players that say "jesus I heard from everyone this gaucho kid is really good but WTF is this ridic post", and make some sort of post.

The bottom line is this.... You play in ridiculously good games. You usually just need to have patience and an incredibly basic understanding of no-limit, with the occasional whacky move to keep the gamblers interested in your action. You tell a pretty good story though.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 PM

lmao
Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Default results

[ QUOTE ]

Step one: Detailed background, what color the guys shirts are, what they ate for dinner two weeks ago, boxers or briefs, etc.

Step two: Proceeding hands. These are either: someone bluffed off all their chips to me, or I got cold decked/bad beat.

Step three: Tell the hand story and make it so incredibly clear what the answer should be by the tone of the hand. This post is an exception, because it includes results, but typically it is something like "I was in a game, one dollar, two dollar no limit. First villain straddles for 200, next one opens for 4k, I call with T8o in the button. Do not question preflop play please. We are 20k deep (live games play v deep!). Flop comes AK8. He bets flop 4k, I float. Turn comes 8. Villain scratches his left nutsack which is a clear indication he is not bluffing. He pushes for 12k...

What do I do?"

The responses are either witty, like when LA poker asked you for a more information, or they are good players that say "jesus I heard from everyone this gaucho kid is really good but WTF is this ridic post", and make some sort of post.

The bottom line is this.... You play in ridiculously good games. You usually just need to have patience and an incredibly basic understanding of no-limit, with the occasional whacky move to keep the gamblers interested in your action. You tell a pretty good story though.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this post is awesome.

i folded, and he showed k4hh. I guess people are right that he could have been value betting a set or two pair, or even aq this way. it should have been a call.

sigh...
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dlp,

this reads like you made a live read > relied on the betting line.

disregarding your turn bet size, his turn minraise is curious. that bet size is "wrong" for all hands given pot size and remaining money

[/ QUOTE ]

... even before I read the results, I thought to myself, yeah, what a ridiculous bet, unless he had exactly the nuts...
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do I do?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone give this man a talk show or something. Considered along with the Sklansky ownage, evidence is mounting that strassa has an epic gift of gab.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What do I do?"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this post is awesome.

i folded, and he showed k4hh. I guess people are right that he could have been value betting a set or two pair, or even aq this way. it should have been a call.

sigh...

[/ QUOTE ]
??? i dont understand the sigh part.. U made the right fold that time even though it might be the wrong fold in the long run???