Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Name Your Cold Stone

Hopefully I'll make it a successful hijack this time.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i could honestly see myself opening frozen custard joints nationwide. it's sick that so many of the warmer areas have never even heard of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a Rusty's Frozen Custard in Norman, OK. It clearly pwns all other ice cream places.

I used to work at a Marble Slab back in high school. The best thing I would make involved the chocolate mint ice cream, brownies, and a [censored]-ton of oreos.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cake batter ice cream, caramel and brownie

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looking at their site it doesn't seem like real-deal frozen custard anyway, i wouldn't be so sure you've really had the jimi hendrix experience.

i'm going this friday to the best local fc place, pumpkin is their flavor of the day. for some perspective food is like the greatest thing on earth to me. i eat at all the nice restaurants around town and it's basically the only thing i care about when visiting another city. i've eaten a lot of great food and a lot of great desserts and the various pumpkin frozen custard dishes at fritz's in st louis is easily the best dessert i've ever had in my life. and it's like 95% as susprisingly and amazingly good as it was the first time i ate it every single time i get some.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I go to St. Louis I always see ads for some Frozen Custard place on Route 66. I've never had Frozen Custard. Maybe I will check it out next time.

Cold Stone Creamery's are opening up all of New York City right now. Its pretty mediocre and I don't like the anoying lingo and the cheesy singing that they do.

I want to orer a small, medium or large, not a like it, love it, or (I don't remeber what they call the large).
Old 10-12-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I want to orer a small, medium or large, not a like it, love it, or (I don't remeber what they call the large).

[/ QUOTE ]
I forgot about that. I say small, medium, etc. anyway.

Last time I was there, they sang after someone put money in the tip jar. That caused their chances of me tipping them to drop from 0% to -5%, which meant there was a 5% chance I would take money OUT of the tip jar.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:48 PM

i think it's a "gotta have it" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

see fritz's, not ted drewe's (or anyplace else), for frozen custard in st. louis
Old 10-12-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's a "gotta have it" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

see fritz's, not ted drewe's (or anyplace else), for frozen custard in st. louis

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Ted Drewes is the place I was thinking of. I'll try fritz's, thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than Ted Drewe's? Hard to imagine...
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's dominatingly superior. a few of the bigger reasons:

- has an actual chocolate flavor that is pre-mixed. if you get anything with chocolate custard at ted drewe's it's done by mixing in chocolate syrup. that makes the item runny and the taste uneven, which makes it much worse (especially since texture is such a key part of frozen custard). this is absolutely crucial for enjoying setups like reese's peanut butter cups with chocolate custard. just imagine the difference between chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream with hershey's syrup and beaten into runnyness with a spoon.

- related to the above comment, fritz's has a pre-mixed flavor of the day. i mentioned pumpkin earlier. you can get that any day in fall at fritz's, but it will be vanilla custard with mixed flavor and much much worse. when it's the flavor of the day the custard is totally solid and the flavor is even. when they do flavors of the day like mint or pumpkin it is truly awesome. it is a bad idea ordering mint custard when it's not the flavor of the day, for example. the difference is gigantic.

- higher quality ingredients on many fronts. the most notable ones are pecans and chocolate chips. the pecans are ultra-salty, dry (non-greasy), and very slightly sugared to produce an astronomically good complement to lots of dishses (e.g. the turtle). chocolate 'chips' are actually chocolate 'chunks'. they not totally milk chocolate but definitely not pure dark chocolate, and ultimately better than out-of-the-bag chips that get blended into oblivion.

ted drewe's is a "st. louis tradition" and lots of tourists, people who went to college here, etc always stop buy and assume it's a great piece of stlouisicana and that sort of thing but they're way off the mark. fritz's is clearly superior. there are several locations too (west county, st peters, north county).
Old 10-12-2005, 04:13 PM

Although none of the reasons you gave really do anything for me since I just like the plain vanilla, I'll definitely try Fritz's next time I'm in town.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's dominatingly superior. a few of the bigger reasons:

- has an actual chocolate flavor that is pre-mixed. if you get anything with chocolate custard at ted drewe's it's done by mixing in chocolate syrup. that makes the item runny and the taste uneven, which makes it much worse (especially since texture is such a key part of frozen custard). this is absolutely crucial for enjoying setups like reese's peanut butter cups with chocolate custard.

- related to the above comment, fritz's has a pre-mixed flavor of the day. i mentioned pumpkin earlier. you can get that any day in fall at fritz's, but it will be vanilla custard with mixed flavor and much much worse. when it's the flavor of the day the custard is totally solid and the flavor is even. when they do flavors of the day like mint or pumpkin it is truly awesome.

- higher quality ingredients on many fronts. the most notable ones are pecans and chocolate chips. the pecans are ultra-salty, dry (non-greasy), and very slightly sugared to produce an astronomically good complement to lots of dishses (e.g. the turtle). chocolate 'chips' are actually chocolate 'chunks'. they not totally milk chocolate but definitely not pure dark chocolate, and ultimately better than out-of-the-bag chips that get blended into oblivion.

ted drewe's is a "st. louis tradition" and lots of tourists, people who went to college here, etc always stop buy and assume it's a great piece of stlouisicana and that sort of thing but they're way off the mark. fritz's is clearly superior.

[/ QUOTE ]