Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: how to stop calls from debt collection agencies for random people

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=4617343

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the link. guess i should have searched after all.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....also try hitting 1 instead of 5 and talking to an actual person and making sure they remove the number, the automated systems usually just hang up the line without removing the phone number, which usually has to be done manually....

[/ QUOTE ]

good to know. thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
....I will never understand why people get fired up for a wrong number, its inevitable whenever you change your number and can go on for a while, just say its a wrong number hang up and move on with your life....

[/ QUOTE ]

i have already indicated twice that this is a wrong number, yet i continue to receive phone calls. this is what gets me fired up.

now, it's possible that i'm getting calls from different collection agencies, but due to the shady-ass way these companies do business, i have no way to determine that.

[/ QUOTE ]

...the average debtor has multiple delinquencies at multiple agencies...so if one company is calling more usually follow..

..also agencies use search engines to locate information on people and if your number is targeted as the debtors prior, or at an address etc they have for them they will find it over and over again that way....a scrub is usually done and it will continue to input the same number in many cases even after it has been removed as bad...

...and someone people are just dumb and keep calling a bad number insteard of realizing that even if it is the right person lying to them, that even if you bust them and they admit its them, they are not gonna pay you...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
press 1 and [censored] with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestions for fuckery?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 PM

Do what this guy did, very funny.

Owned Telemarketer
Old 03-31-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestions for fuckery?

[/ QUOTE ]

...claim you are the right person...and claim you wanna pay the bill in full immediately and can you pay by check by phone or credit card...tell them to hold and wait a minute then hang up....

...they will inevitably call back, when they do advised them they just broke FDCPA law and that you are gonna file harrasment charges against them which can cost them up to $1000 per offense (thats just to that collector) and also sue the company overall...

...1 of 2 things will happen, they will either back off or press further thinking they have the right person...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestions for fuckery?

[/ QUOTE ]

...claim you are the right person...and claim you wanna pay the bill in full immediately and can you pay by check by phone or credit card...tell them to hold and wait a minute then hang up....

...they will inevitably call back, when they do advised them they just broke FDCPA law and that you are gonna file harrasment charges against them which can cost them up to $1000 per offense (thats just to that collector) and also sue the company overall...

...1 of 2 things will happen, they will either back off or press further thinking they have the right person...

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't OP get in trouble for impersonating another person?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:41 PM

even if they are calling to talk to YOU, you can tell them to stop calling you. that is your legal right. it is their legal right to put a collection account on your credit report, but they cannot harrass you if you tell them to stop
Old 03-31-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestions for fuckery?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't OP get in trouble for impersonating another person?

[/ QUOTE ]

...by who...the collection agency? so they can put there practices out there so they can be dissected...especially if they just broke the law...

...and he didnt show fake ID or anything just said he was someone else...no big deal...

...and even if they did record the call (which is very very rare) how they gonna prove it was him that did it? spend tons of money to get the voice analyzed..

...crazy
Old 03-31-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even if they are calling to talk to YOU, you can tell them to stop calling you. that is your legal right. it is their legal right to put a collection account on your credit report, but they cannot harrass you if you tell them to stop

[/ QUOTE ]

...in most states you can be called once a day between the hours of 8am and 9pm your local time, 7 days a week, and a verbal request by the correct person does not mean that company has to remove the number...most companies do it because they realize making the phone call is wasting them money....

...only sure way to stop phone calls at least is to send a cease and desist letter certified mail to the company with return reciept...but usually these accounts are then closed and sent back to the client where they ship it somewhere else and you gotta keep doing it...so just pay the bill and it will stop...
Old 03-31-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm getting really sick of this.

i periodically get phone calls from machines trying to find people i have never heard of. when i answer the phone, they say something like,

"hello. i am trying to reach...[some name in different computer voice]...with an important personal business matter. if you are this person, press 1. if you can bring this person to the phone, press 2. [blah blah blah]. if you do not know this person, press 5."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have actually been getting a couple of these calls on my cell phone recently for someone I have never heard of. After getting 3 calls from the same girl in a day and a half, I said something to the extent of "I don't know who the [censored] you are looking for, it aint me and this is my [censored] cell phone, quit [censored] calling me you dumb bitch, call one more time and im calling the cops you [censored] [censored]." That was a week ago and I haven't got any more phone calls from them.