Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Blurring the line

Overall I think this forum was needed and that it will be a big benefit to the segment of two plus two interested in fitness...

But

My concern is not that advice (good advice from a variety of different viewpoints) cant be found on strength training or diet in general but rather what could be termed medical problems.

In the past week there was a post where the OP was a 22 year old with very severe back pain... posters were debating whether he should wear a belt to squat or not. There's now a post out there where the OP had his knee scoped this week. These are not posts in the style of "Im returning to training after a layoff of several months; has someone also dealt with this problem help me please". These posts are basically medical advice posts where I do not think anyone (correct me if Im wrong) on this forum has enough experience in the field and information on the OP's specific case to offer sound constructive advice.

The correct and obvious advice, which few responders to these threads have noted, is to seek medical help. In the back pain case the OP mentioned seeing a therapist.... why not ask a therapist what is best. Or better yet, if youre posting here for something serious of some degree of complication (by all means you should post here about minor joint pain or getting back into training after spraining your whatever) seek qualified professional help.

There are guys on here with tons of info from a variety of backgrounds. I respect their opinions on weight training, diet, etc. I think that folks coming in here with potentially serious problems... well thats just something else. The best advice is to see a doctor. And I worry that without some sort of policy on this issue or general consensus folks will be coming in talking about debilitating pain at a young age and leaving with varying mantras on lifts they shouldnt be doing without actual medical advice.

If today at the gym you tweak your shoulder... post here about it. If you think you just tore your ACL... see a doctor dont waste your time reading a leg extension value debate on this forum (read that debate later though since leg extensions are kinda shady)
Old 03-17-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Blurring the line

rearden,

i had extremely similar surgery to that OP and i have taken it back a little slowly.

i advised him to listen to what physical therapists were telling him, and im sure i could be a resource to him, as others have been a resource to me.

that is the whole point of forums. (except for nits who just like to quote whatever other people say and prove it wrong, which is like 90 percent of 2p2).
Old 03-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Blurring the line

[ QUOTE ]
rearden,

i had extremely similar surgery to that OP and i have taken it back a little slowly.

i advised him to listen to what physical therapists were telling him, and im sure i could be a resource to him, as others have been a resource to me.

that is the whole point of forums. .

[/ QUOTE ] (except for nits who just like to quote whatever other people say and prove it wrong, which is like 90 percent of 2p2)

bolded oart isn't true