Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Need reliable information, basic help

dms, source for that?

most of what ive read says in the postworkout shake...
Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 PM

It's a continual debate about when to take creatine. Lots of people say it really doesn't matter, and I know a lot of guys who take smaller amounts of it throughout the day. There is some studies suggessting pre-workout is good, but tons suggessting post-workout is good. I always figured post-workout would be optimal because that's when muscle creatine levels are lower. Also pre-workout might be a timing issue, it takes a while for it to enter the cell.

It's all up for debate I'd say, but I'm still going to take mine post-workout. Like I said though, a lot of people I know have experimented with taking it a few times per day, but I don't think enough studys have been done to really say whether this is beneficial.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 PM

Here's kind of a sum up of a few opinions I've heard. Most of the knowledgable people I've talked to seem to think that there's more evidence that encourages them to take it before a work out and the reasons to take it after working out aren't that conclusive. Just what I've heard.

http://www.absolute-creatine.com/9.htm
Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 PM

DMS: That is a strange link..the majority of studies I've seen have covered creatine POST-WORKOUT, with only a few looking at it pre-workout. The exact opposite of what they state. Well, actually I've seen a lot of studies with both pre and post, which makes the question even more tough to answer.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, the exact timing of when you take the creatine may not be critical. As long as you have creatine available to your muscles - it will be effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the prevaling thinking for a lot of people. Like I said, I know a lot of knowledgeable lifting friends who probably know more about supplements than I do that take creatine throughout the day, or say the timing isn't that important. Obviously, we know (see below) that a lot of supplements tend to be more effective when taken with high carb or protein intake, with some notable exceptions.

[ QUOTE ]
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Nov;38(11):1918-25.
Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy.

PURPOSE: Some studies report greater muscle hypertrophy during resistance exercise (RE) training from supplement timing (i.e., the strategic consumption of protein and carbohydrate before and/or after each workout). However, no studies have examined whether this strategy provides greater muscle hypertrophy or strength development compared with supplementation at other times during the day. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of supplement timing compared with supplementation in the hours not close to the workout on muscle-fiber hypertrophy, strength, and body composition during a 10-wk RE program. METHODS: In a single-blind, randomized protocol, resistance-trained males were matched for strength and placed into one of two groups; the PRE-POST group consumed a supplement (1 g x kg(-1) body weight) containing protein/creatine/glucose immediately before and after RE. The MOR-EVE group consumed the same dose of the same supplement in the morning and late evening. All assessments were completed the week before and after 10 wk of structured, supervised RE training. Assessments included strength (1RM, three exercises), body composition (DEXA), and vastus lateralis muscle biopsies for determination of muscle fiber type (I, IIa, IIx), cross-sectional area (CSA), contractile protein, creatine (Cr), and glycogen content. RESULTS: PRE-POST demonstrated a greater (P < 0.05) increase in lean body mass and 1RM strength in two of three assessments. The changes in body composition were supported by a greater (P < 0.05) increase in CSA of the type II fibers and contractile protein content. PRE-POST supplementation also resulted in higher muscle Cr and glycogen values after the training program (P < 0.05). CONCLUSION: Supplement timing represents a simple but effective strategy that enhances the adaptations desired from RE-training.

PMID: 17095924

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-02-2007, 04:24 AM

jah,
I'm curious about how you can get access to all those journals. Are they available online for free?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Fish oil, the stuff you get at walmart?? you drink it? it does what for you?
Im only taking a multi vitamin, and eating a bit more, is eating cottage cheese the same thing as eating whey protein?

I too am getting back into lifting.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:03 PM

fish: anti-inflammatory, prevents heart disease, helps body comp...google dude, you can find tons of info...most are capsules...you can get the pills or you can get specified products, just depends what you want and what you want to spend...

cottage cheese is caesin protein, not whey...its a slower digesting protein than whey and lots of people use it before bed...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 PM

blackkeys:

Pubmed: Close to everything you'd ever need [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Note then you can sometimes google search authors or specifics and find the full-write ups.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

I also use:

http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

We have a "fitness" computer I use a lot on campus that has direct links to other specific journals and what not, so I don't know if some of the other ones I use a lot are free or not. They are free on that computer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think a lot of sites give you abstracts for free, but for full texts you usually have to subscribe.

When I was REALLY getting into the stuff I used this a lot for information on cellular pathways, etc.

http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/metabolism.html

Hope that helps, I can probably send about 100 more links your way if need be.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blackkeys:

Pubmed: Close to everything you'd ever need [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Note then you can sometimes google search authors or specifics and find the full-write ups.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

I also use:

http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

We have a "fitness" computer I use a lot on campus that has direct links to other specific journals and what not, so I don't know if some of the other ones I use a lot are free or not. They are free on that computer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think a lot of sites give you abstracts for free, but for full texts you usually have to subscribe.

When I was REALLY getting into the stuff I used this a lot for information on cellular pathways, etc.

http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/metabolism.html

Hope that helps, I can probably send about 100 more links your way if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]
holy crap thanks dude. I don't need anymore links as it would be information overload.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:47 PM

I use Pubmed more than any other by far.