Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 06:28 AM

Default Re: I\'m Dumbfounded

[ QUOTE ]
I also happen to believe that a personal god is the best explanation for personal experiences I have had. I dont think you can call me stupid. Although, if I am wrong about my experiences you could call me gullible, weak-willed or claim I am poor at interpreting my experiences perhaps.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny, I went to a catholic school, even taught at my old school for four years, and when I look back at it now it makes me laugh, shudder, or just feel embarassed.

I guess I'm just a slow learner, and it's taken me 40+ years to reach a point of clarity when it comes to my existence within the universe. Many people search for a deeper meaning as they get older, while I think I've reached a point where I realize there is no deeper meaning.

You seem like a very well meaning person. I'm not sure if I feel pity or envy towards you. Maybe envy, in that you are able to have the beliefs that you do, but probably more pity because I really think that you are brainwashed, deluded, or just afraid to face the harsh reality of our sad fate.

I don't know how anybody could read a couple of Richard Dawkins' books (as I did a few years ago) and not just throw the whole "god" concept onto the scrap heap along with astrology, alien space ships, the tooth fairy, faith healing, miracles, psychics, et al.

All of the mumbo jumbo that is thrown out by "belivers" on this forum sounds very nice, but when you strip it all down to the core, it's just all wishful thinking and a load of bunk. It's like people think if you believe in something strongly enough you will make it reality. Sounds nice, but unfortunately things don't work that way.

I think in some ways intelligent people in todays world are extremely unlucky. We are at a point in the history of our species where our knowledge allows us to figure out how we got here (eliminating the "god" hypothesis), yet we are probably a few generations too early to be able to maintain a good quality of life almost indefinitely.

So 500 years ago "god" was a reasonable explanation, 500 years from now there won't be a reason for a "god" to make people sleep better at night.

I guess we just have to make due with living life to the fullest, with no reward for all of those hours spent listening to pedophiles and other assorted deviants pontificate about the virtues of being a "believer"
Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The poster then poses a question to the readers of said forum. He asks if it possible that he is suffering some negative variance becase god is punishing him for not being as close to god as he once was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about a doom switch. The universe is RIGGED!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also happen to believe that a personal god is the best explanation for personal experiences I have had. I dont think you can call me stupid. Although, if I am wrong about my experiences you could call me gullible, weak-willed or claim I am poor at interpreting my experiences perhaps.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny, I went to a catholic school, even taught at my old school for four years, and when I look back at it now it makes me laugh, shudder, or just feel embarassed.

I guess I'm just a slow learner, and it's taken me 40+ years to reach a point of clarity when it comes to my existence within the universe. Many people search for a deeper meaning as they get older, while I think I've reached a point where I realize there is no deeper meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think religion gives my life meaning - or rather I think it just changes the meaning. I think life has inherent value, irrespective of whether god exists or not. I think DS would say I'm a theist worth listening too, since I dont think the world would be any worse if I am wrong. (Although I am pretty poor at predicting what he would say on most topics).

[ QUOTE ]
You seem like a very well meaning person. I'm not sure if I feel pity or envy towards you. Maybe envy, in that you are able to have the beliefs that you do, but probably more pity because I really think that you are brainwashed, deluded, or just afraid to face the harsh reality of our sad fate.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm wrong it's almost certainly a self-inflicted delusion.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how anybody could read a couple of Richard Dawkins' books (as I did a few years ago) and not just throw the whole "god" concept onto the scrap heap along with astrology, alien space ships, the tooth fairy, faith healing, miracles, psychics, et al.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont like dawkins - probably for the reasons you do. He starts with a discussion on science, then smoothly moves into decidedly unscientific conclusions. I wish he would be clearer when he is talking science and when he isnt (although I understand his reasons for taking a more combative approach, it still annoys me).

[ QUOTE ]
All of the mumbo jumbo that is thrown out by "belivers" on this forum sounds very nice, but when you strip it all down to the core, it's just all wishful thinking and a load of bunk. It's like people think if you believe in something strongly enough you will make it reality. Sounds nice, but unfortunately things don't work that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what the quotes mean but, to be frank, you dont seem to be offering much other than an opinion that we are wrong. My entire purpose for posting here is to have my beliefs challenged, unfortunately I struggle to get anything from this other than the fact that you think I'm obviously wrong for some undisclosed reasons.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think religion gives my life meaning - or rather I think it just changes the meaning. I think life has inherent value, irrespective of whether god exists or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bunny, you have done it again. You are one of the rare and commendable theist I know. Good luck and thanks for your very sensible religious and rational comments.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm just a slow learner, and it's taken me 40+ years to reach a point of clarity when it comes to my existence within the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It took you 40 years to read two books?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a harsh reality I realize, but isn't it about time to grow up and think like rational adults.

[/ QUOTE ]

People ought not dispose of deeply held convictions simply because adulthood expects it of them.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 AM

You have faith yourself - you have the unwavering faith that God does not exist. This is a religion in itself, it is what you stand on, it is your anchor.

It is ignorant of you to chastize those who believe in a God - for your beliefs are just as dogmatic.

I am also biased in responding to your thoughts as I will never belive one way or the other. I see it pointless to argue something that can never be objectively proven. Leave such subjective points to the self and let those who believe / disbelieve live their lives with such comfort.

You believed in the Christian God and now with your experiences in life take yourself as being lied to. Good for you, it works for you. But I am dumbfounded by your close mindedness, by your complete refusal of possibility. If you want my opinion - YOU are no different from a theist. You are equallly as dogmatic.

One who does not accept the possibility that their belief is not the "correct" is one has already committed themselves to a religion.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every time Albert Pujols does something on the baseball field and then points to the sky I feel like expelling fluids from my upper digestive area in his general direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Latin American baseball players point to the sky when they make an out, get thrown out stealing, etc., too. It's about thanking God for everything.

So funny how trailer parkers in these remote, mythical areas of the south with IQs below 85 have greater wisdom than you.

Why do you want to spew when you see it? Not because it offends your 'rational' sensibilities, but because everything exists in relation to God, and your 'atheism' can only be hatred of God, which you want everyone else to share.

No need to despair; God still loves you.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I feel like I'm living on a continent surrounded by complete imbecils. People, please get a freaking clue. There is a god just as much there is a tooth fairy and an easter bunny. This is a harsh reality I realize, but isn't it about time to grow up and think like rational adults.

[/ QUOTE ]Respectfully, if you cannot see why someone would think that way, why such thoughts are (or were) biologically necessary, and why such thoughts do not neccessarily reflect low intelligence then you should be careful insulting the intelligence of others.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People ought not dispose of deeply held convictions simply because adulthood expects it of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should people continue to believe in the tooth fairy when they reach adulthood? If not, explain the difference to me.