Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 AM

Default One more- pocket 8\'s in late position

One more... you guys think I should've called or raised on the flop instead of folding?

again, .25/.50 at full tilt. this is a loose table.

hero dealt 8s, 8h

utg calls, 2 limpers to me, I raise, guy after me calls, the previous limpers call, we go to the flop.

Flop is

Jd, 4d, Jh

utg bets. all fold to me..

Now looking back on it, maybe utg was just on a flush draw? I beat everything unless utg had either a j or pocket fours. There are still many more possible hands where he could be on the flush draw, or something like A4. Should I raise?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: One more- pocket 8\'s in late position

Tell us more about UTG.
Passive or Aggressive post-flop?
If he's aggro than I'm calling down. If he's hyperaggro than I'm raising.

edit: Oops, I thought it was HU after the folds on the flop. With one person left to act behind you, this is pretty much always a raise, unless you have some reason to beleive that UTG may have the Jack (ie: he's very passive on the flop.) Never just call here.
If you raise and the person acting behind you calls, you are pretty much either beat by a J or a bigger PP unless the guy calling 2 cold is really 'special'.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:09 AM

i just call preflop, though raising has its merits.

i think you should raise the flop with the button and blinds behind you in this big pot. there are a variety of overcards you'd like to see fold.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 AM

I'd call with this guy preflop. Low and medium pocket pairs play well multi-way. You already have two limpers in front, so let's induce some overlimpers behind by not raising.

On the flop, I'd raise. Most people prefer a check/raise vs. the preflop raiser when they've flopped trips, so you could very well be ahead in this spot. Let's now knock out the people behind us who might call one bet with overcards, but probably not two. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people prefer a slowplay vs. the preflop raiser when they've flopped trips, so you could very well be ahead in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there's only 1 guy to act behind us. This is actually a spot where I'll often flat call the flop & pop any non-diamond turn (intending to fold to a 3bet), although I definitely don't dislike a flop raise. I do absolutely hate a flop fold given that everyone else has folded so far & it's so unlikely that we're beat.

You can go either way preflop. Raising will have a positive long-term expectancy assuming you play halfway decently postflop, but limping behind will reduce your variance. Possibly buying the button makes raising better in my eyes, but I suspect it doesn't much matter either way.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 AM

I couldn't tell from your post whether their were 3 callers including UTG or 2 including UTG. Either way, I'm more likely to call here than raise preflop. It's pretty sweet when you're holding a PP and the growing number of limpers encourages even more behind you.

I'd raise the flop here hoping to knock out whoever is still to act behind you (which looks like only the CO?). In any event, assuming that you're probably ahead here, I'd rather not have the CO hanging around holding an OC to the 8s. So I'd raise here to protect my hand.

If it turns out that UTG has a J here and bet out into the preflop raiser, than good for him. But I discount that since the typical play here seems to be check/call the flop and then c/r the turn. I'm thinking that with your preflop raise he put you on AK/AQ and is trying to grab the pot.

BTW, possible UTG holdings are 99/TT, too, it's not uncommon to see them limped UTG. But I think more often than not you're ahead here so I'd prefer to bet out and and protect the hand.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell us more about UTG.
Passive or Aggressive post-flop?
If he's aggro than I'm calling down. If he's hyperaggro than I'm raising.

edit: Oops, I thought it was HU after the folds on the flop. With one person left to act behind you, this is pretty much always a raise, unless you have some reason to beleive that UTG may have the Jack (ie: he's very passive on the flop.) Never just call here.

If you raise and the person acting behind you calls, you are pretty much either beat by a J, sometimes bigger PP but he can have also FD.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 AM

Knew nothing about utg. I have 6 hands on her, that's it and I didn't think it was enough to make a good reading. The others seemed to respect her raise. So I just called on the flop. Should I have called on the pf and just hoped to flop the set or fold? My raises were very respected on the board and since so many showed weakness by limping, I wanted to iso-raise for the chance to play the pp heads up.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:17 AM

I think I am a wimp.. I probably limp with the pocket 8s and fold to a bet on the flop.

I really want to get in cheap and flop a set. I think 4 other people saw the flop. people like jacks.. maybe the UTG had AJ?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have called on the pf and just hoped to flop the set or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

With med PP in MP with 2 limpers already in, probably yes. But raising here I think is okay from time to time.

[ QUOTE ]
The others seemed to respect her raise. So I just called on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, they were sandwiched between someone showing aggression and the preflop raiser (you).

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to iso-raise for the chance to play the pp heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were already (at least; I can't quite tell) 2 limpers in front of you. You weren't playing this PP heads up.