Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Trip Report - DUI

Not sure if I'm missing your joke, but in case my post wasn't clear I meant it's legal to have an AK in your trunk.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

furthermore, I think cops should only be able to cite you for a DUI if it was their FIRST suspicion or their reason for pulling you over. If you get pulled over for a CA rolling stop, speeding (but not driving dangerously), and/or having a burnt out tail-light.... they shouldn't be able to up the ante if you've had a couple drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to troll, but what if they find an AK in my trunk and only pulled me over because I had a burned out taillight? Or a body? Or a few kilos? Should they not be able to charge me for that just because it wasn't their main reason for the stop? Damn, OJ could've gotten off without even going to trial if he'd just packed Nicole and Ron in the trunk of his car and gotten hammered before hitting the 101.

EDIT: You've made a good number of points in this thread - more than prana for sure, despite your similarities in righteous indignation, just pointing out the HUGE gap in logic in this part of your post. Seriously dude, wtf. If you've committed a crime and they find out about it because you committed another crime, that's kinda on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to come off as some sort of saint... but it bugs me the way the "DUI" situation is handled.

Furthermore... it's disgusting that the CHP can do "safety and sobriety stops" and on several occassions they have actually set up "check points" around my neighborhood to try to nail people... ridiculous.

To me that's just one step away from being able to knock on your door and search your house without a warrant.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

furthermore, I think cops should only be able to cite you for a DUI if it was their FIRST suspicion or their reason for pulling you over. If you get pulled over for a CA rolling stop, speeding (but not driving dangerously), and/or having a burnt out tail-light.... they shouldn't be able to up the ante if you've had a couple drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to troll, but what if they find an AK in my trunk and only pulled me over because I had a burned out taillight? Or a body? Or a few kilos? Should they not be able to charge me for that just because it wasn't their main reason for the stop? Damn, OJ could've gotten off without even going to trial if he'd just packed Nicole and Ron in the trunk of his car and gotten hammered before hitting the 101.

EDIT: You've made a good number of points in this thread - more than prana for sure, despite your similarities in righteous indignation, just pointing out the HUGE gap in logic in this part of your post. Seriously dude, wtf. If you've committed a crime and they find out about it because you committed another crime, that's kinda on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to come off as some sort of saint... but it bugs me the way the "DUI" situation is handled.

Furthermore... it's disgusting that the CHP can do "safety and sobriety stops" and on several occassions they have actually set up "check points" around my neighborhood to try to nail people... ridiculous.

To me that's just one step away from being able to knock on your door and search your house without a warrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, nice Freudian slip "I'm trying to come off as some sort of saint."

Secondly, depends on the context. If these checkpoints are set up after 90% of all non-liquor establishments are closed and is within a few miles of a street with a lot of bars, then I don't see that much of a problem. If it's 8pm and in a residential area, then it seems like a lot less of a beneficial exercise for the PD and a public nuisance.

Again, don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about. That said, I am not trying to be high and mighty, I speed all the time and I also have driven at times that I shouldn't have (although this thread and a few others that I know have been caught so I do not do this anymore). But also, if there was a high probability of my getting caught for speeding, I (and I am guessing most others) wouldn't do it. Thankfully in Texas, speeders are not of any importance to law enforcement.

We all make decisions based on the chances of getting caught, and the consequences of getting caught (if you knew for a fact you'd get a DUI, you wouldn't drink and drive). Unfortunately, your number was called. Now use the American Justice system for all it is worth and plea it down to as little a charge as you can.