Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Default QQ NL25 -- Weird preflop hand

MP2 is 57/15/1.7 after 214 and, during this session anyway, he was a luckbox who was getting on my nerves. He limp-reraised big with AKs once, if that helps. He also seemed aware of me, so I doubt he was cold-calling for the hell of it, and I really doubt he was cold-call/pushing for the hell of it, although he was running super-hot over the previous few orbits and perhaps was feeling a little invincible.

CO is 42/3/0.6 after 31.

BB is 50/17/1.5 after 12, however much that helps.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($12.70)
UTG+1 ($11.40)
Hero ($67.05)
MP2 ($103.95)
MP3 ($24.50)
CO ($12.90)
Button ($6.60)
SB ($18.15)
BB ($9)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, MP2 calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1.50, Button calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $9 (All-in)</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $103.95</font>, CO calls $11.40 (All-In), Button folds, Hero calls $37.05 (All-In).

Any other ideas, or is this fine?

Edit: I'd imagine the stack sizes should have factored into my decision when it came back to me, and BB's stack size did (I wanted to get it HU with him if possible), but otherwise it was all kind of overwhelming to me.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: QQ NL25 -- Weird preflop hand

You made a standard preflop raise(4xBB +1 per limper) and got called 3 ways before the short stack goes all in. Not a very good situation for QQ. your raise to isolate made sense, but calling off all your chips after there are already 3 people all in makes no sense to me. You are probably already dominated if not decimated. I know the odds are good to call, but not if someone has aces or kings. I fold here.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You made a standard preflop raise(4xBB +1 per limper) and got called 3 ways before the short stack goes all in. Not a very good situation for QQ. your raise to isolate made sense, but calling off all your chips after there are already 3 people all in makes no sense to me. You are probably already dominated if not decimated. I know the odds are good to call, but not if someone has aces or kings. I fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the initial situation with the cold-calls seemed pretty good, but that could be the limit player in me talking, and it's true that I wasn't looking forward to playing the hand postflop. But then when the shorty pushed, I decided that maybe that gave me the opportunity to avoid postflop. However, when MP2 pushed in response to my big raise, my basic thought was "Uh oh." I wasn't happy at all. And I did wonder if I should fold. But I'm getting a little over 3:1 at that point (on my last $37). And while it's true that I am about a 4.5:1 dog to MP2 if he has AA/KK, I was thinking that if he doesn't have either of those hands, folding would be awful.

So, anyway, I wasn't really sure what was best, and, given that, I guess I wasn't feeling disciplined enough to fold.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Okay, I'm going to try a bump because I'd like a little more input. I know that in a way this is just a boring preflop hand, but it's also by far the biggest hand I played last night, in terms of money involved. (It's an interesting thing about NL; MP2 and I had been sparring for like 200 hands at the table, and then our relative results for the session all came down to this one hand.)

In any event, given the cards that the involved players held and the flop that came, the hand would have been a very exciting and action-filled limit hand postflop. But, of course, in actuality we were playing NL and by the time the flop came all the money was in.