Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Doping in golf?

I have read something Gary Player has said about doping being a problem in golf nowadays.

Gary Player about players using steroids

What do you think? Is it just one guy, helping his body to recover faster after injury or are we getting into Tour de France territory where all winners since the 1970s "most likely all have been using illegal substances knowingly and intensively".
Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Doping in golf?

Beta blockers were the rage for awhile (cures the yips)...but there's absolutely ZERO need for stuff like steroids in golf...I can drive it >330 consistently without going to the gym (and I'm FAR from huge...6' 175lbs)...if people use steroids, they're stupid. 1, it's dangerous; 2, it's unnecessary (in fact, you may do WORSE from it)
Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beta blockers were the rage for awhile (cures the yips)...but there's absolutely ZERO need for stuff like steroids in golf...I can drive it >330 consistently without going to the gym (and I'm FAR from huge...6' 175lbs)...if people use steroids, they're stupid. 1, it's dangerous; 2, it's unnecessary (in fact, you may do WORSE from it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that steroids is stupid, and it will destroy your health, and that it is possible to hit the ball as far as the pros do without steroids.

But another thing is to keep up your muscle tone so to speak with all the travelling and playing (practise + tournaments) daily for most part of the year.

Gary Player does not seem to me to be the kind of person who would say this just to get publicity, he does not need it, he is his own publicity. You think he is out on a limb on this one?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Gary Player needs to shut the [censored] up or start naming names.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 PM

What I don't get- he threw in creatine with the other things he listed? Creatine?? I mean, if I can walk into GNC and buy it, it's not a big deal.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM

I agree, a scandal is bad, but rumours, a cover up and then a scandal is worse. Let us have things out in the open.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 PM

If they're doing it in other sports what makes golf so different? Everyone is looking for that edge. It would not surprise me at all.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Why would Gary name names? Look what happens to the guys that do so in other sports -- they become instant outcasts. The reaction to Player's words has been almost the same as the reaction in other sports when it's come up. Laugh it off, bash the outer, cover it up, blow it off, do everything you can to make sure that no one can take it seriously.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see steroids, amphetamines, adderall, hell even nefazodone in the bloodstreams of golfers.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would Gary name names? Look what happens to the guys that do so in other sports -- they become instant outcasts. The reaction to Player's words has been almost the same as the reaction in other sports when it's come up. Laugh it off, bash the outer, cover it up, blow it off, do everything you can to make sure that no one can take it seriously.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see steroids, amphetamines, adderall, hell even nefazodone in the bloodstreams of golfers.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who don't think there are golfers doping are nuts. I doubt it's a major epidemic like baseball was, but to think that no one is doing it is simply naive.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM

DOPING DOESN'T HELP YOU HIT A CURVEBALL

-my favorite argument.