Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Moving from Kansas to LA (?)

It looks like I've got a very good chance of being able to take a job in LA doing something I really love. It's early in the process, so I'm not sure yet what the pay would be, which could be a big factor, but the job itself would be great.

The drawback is I'd have to move from Kansas, where I've lived all my life, to LA where I've never been. Not sure if this is a travel forum topic, but I'd be interested to hear opinion on the likelihood of me loving or hating this. I'm from Lawrence (college town), so I'm not like a Kansas farm boy or anything, but it's still Midwest as opposed to LA.

My main concerns are:
1) Not knowing anyone
I've never really had to meet people since I've lived in the same town my whole life. I'm semi-outgoing though, and people usually find me pretty likable.

2) Cost of living
It seems just outrageous. Especially housing. I'm paying $300/month right now to rent a bedroom of a 5 bedroom, 3-story house in a middle-class neighborhood. I'm guess I'm looking at 3-4 times that in LA?

The place is in Inglewood, so if anyone has tips on that area and good places to live for a guy who's moderately cheap I'd be interested. Obviously it doesn't have to be in Inglewood, but the shorter the commute the better.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Moving from Kansas to LA (?)

You will hate LA if you live in Inglewood IMO.

Inglewood to Hawthorne to Gardina to Compton is a really bad region. High crime, low income area. Just a disaster imo.

The good thing? You can travel north towards Culver City, or West towards the ocean (prolly expensive though). Or maybe northeast closer to Hollywood/ Beverly Hills.

Problem? Commute if you move farther away from Inglewood. But hell, a 30 or 40 minute commute would be well worth it IMO. The majority of Inglewood is not nice.

This should summarize:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ut3rUPywXY
Old 10-11-2007, 06:43 AM

that point aside, I love L.A in general.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 PM

KUJ,

Check out the LA thread in El Diablo's forum. Not very specific to your questions, but lots of great LA info.

Inglewood is just terrible. Don't live there under any circumstances. You could live in the Beverly Center area, which is good for young, single people, and just take La Cienega down to the hood.

LA has some big upsides and downsides. If you are young, go ahead and give it a try. Worst thing that happens is you hate it and move back to KS.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 AM

jv and LFS, thanks for the info. I'll check out El D's thread. I've definitely gotten the sense that not living in Inglewood is wise.

LFS, I am young and "go ahead and give it a try" is the way I'm leaning right now.