FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Well?
Good, sensible bet. 20 33.33%
Screw EV, Quadfecta all the way baby! 22 36.67%
Dean is a disgrace to BBV 18 30.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Split Seer Lists

In a normal AS game, it is very possible to come out with 4-5 live villager peeks and ship the win solely because of it. This is why peeking a villager is much more valuable than you think it is. It is also much, much easier to hint obvious villager peeks and live than hint wolf peeks.

Because of this, I believe the added gain in dividing up the seer peek list is way more valuable than gaining the possibility of peeking more wolves.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:54 AM

Now, let's assume a game where there are 30 villagers, 2 seers, and 4 wolves. In this game, I do not think divide up seer peek is as strong.

But as long as villager peeks are as valuable as they are (and they are more than 1/2 a wolf peek, at least, I think), I think dividing up the list is correct.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:09 AM

My take on splitting seer peeks:

:I think that it makes it easier for wolves to spot seers.

:I think that it tries too hard to solve a problem that isn't really a big deal very often. Yes, some games end up with a bunch of duplicate peeks, but everyone remembers the outliers. Duplicate seer peeks are actually pretty rare overall.

:There is no way to guarantee that both seers follow it. So if one seer peeks only from his half, and the other one picks whimsically, there are a lot of players on one half that are unlikely to ever be peeked.

:Seers have more information than villagers almost from the very beginning. They have significantly more information to consider when choosing their peeks. The village has less information, and is trying to dictate who they may peek among. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Oh, and this too:

[ QUOTE ]
I think it sucks, is not in the spirit of the game, and just isn't fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the mod wants to have a seer masonry, they should create one like jared and I did for Belgariad. If they don't, I don't feel splitting of seer peeks is appropriate.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM

I'm officially on the split seers help the village after ASX where KM and I were peeked by both seers within the first 3 days, whether or not it is "in the spirit of the game" is another matter.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

:There is no way to guarantee that both seers follow it. So if one seer peeks only from his half, and the other one picks whimsically, there are a lot of players on one half that are unlikely to ever be peeked

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the biggest problem with split lists.

The other problem is everybody sticking their nose in to the plan, and causing confusion.

The fact is, the village can spend 8 hours and 1000 posts discussing nothing but seer strategy, and the seers will do whatever they want, and the village will have given the wolves perfect cover on day 1.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact is, the village can spend 8 hours and 1000 posts discussing nothing but seer strategy, and the seers will do whatever they want, and the village will have given the wolves perfect cover on day 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
you can say this over and over, and come game time, there will still be seer strategy talk in the thread.(mixed in to the pics, jokes, and haikus of course)
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM

The village spends 8 hours and 1000 posts if they are dumb. It's not hard to say seer 1 peek A-M, seer 2 N-Z.

I don't think it makes it easier for wolves to spot seers. When dropping seer hints you use the entire player list; the village will know which ones were seer peeks and which ones were reads/cover.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The village spends 8 hours and 1000 posts if they are dumb. It's not hard to say seer 1 peek A-M, seer 2 N-Z.

I don't think it makes it easier for wolves to spot seers. When dropping seer hints you use the entire player list; the village will know which ones were seer peeks and which ones were reads/cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'd never know if the seer actually followed the split or not. That's the problem, seers will often jump off list. The village should not be telling the seer what to do - they can take care of it themselves.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We'd never know if the seer actually followed the split or not. That's the problem, seers will often jump off list. The village should not be telling the seer what to do - they can take care of it themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's fine if a seer jumps off list; I'm just saying there aren't as many drawbacks as people are saying. Probably the only one is if a seer has nobody interesting to peek on their list; not following the split a couple times still reduces chances of an overlap.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's fine if a seer jumps off list; I'm just saying there aren't as many drawbacks as people are saying. Probably the only one is if a seer has nobody interesting to peek on their list; not following the split a couple times still reduces chances of an overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then when the seer dies without coming out, we don't know who his peeks apply to. WHich of the people off list were peeked, and which were cover? Were any of them cover?