Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

[ QUOTE ]
Oh Please! (I promise to try and restrain myself)

PETA IS a bunch of lunatic wackjobs and should not in any way shape or form be respected. The danger in thinking that they are only doing things and making statements that are outlandish is that you miss the fact that these idiots actually believe what they are saying. They are not doing it to "make a point". They really would put a stop to anything involving use of animals like eating or making clothes. This includes things very near and dear to me like hunting and fishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the beauty is that they don't necessarily believe what they espouse. They don't want you to use animals for anything, but if one of their lives were endangered:

[ QUOTE ]
PETA Senior Vice President MaryBeth Sweetland on her use of insulin, which was tested on animals:

"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I'm not going to take the chance of killing myself by not taking insulin. I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals."
--Glamour, January 1990

[/ QUOTE ]

So, no new medical research and no use of any animal products, except for her insulin because "I need my life to fight for the rights of animals." Screw her.

The poster above who said that there is no reason to respect PETA because they are totally inflexible is absolutely right. They are a bunch of lunatics (who support the Animal Liberation Front, a radical terrorist group).

We should do our best to try to minimize the suffering of the animals that we rely on for our needs, and yes, maybe we should pay a little more to ensure it. Naturally all medical research on animals should be halted and PETA members should be used instead.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We should do our best to try to minimize the suffering of the animals that we rely on for our needs, and yes, maybe we should pay a little more to ensure it. Naturally all medical research on animals should be halted and PETA members should be used instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Hell Ya!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured someone would post about that here. I assume some people saw it. Maybe I'm blind and missed the topic?

One of the controversies, of course, is her comparisons between slavery, holocaust victims and our treatment of animals. Without giving my opinion on that, I don't believe that the documentary would have been made and shown on HBO without that type of controversy. I also don't believe that those offended by these types of comparisons would have been swayed in the direction of PETA had she taken a gentler direction. Tactically, therefore, it was the right move on her part, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a guy that grew up on a a farm, and did work on that farm which included killing animals, I say PETA can go [censored] themselves. I own part of a farm now and continue to raise animals. There are a great many people in this country breaking their backs to put food on their own table and in doing so put food on everyone else's table. I realize that there are giant corporate farms and stockyards, but at the same time there are a ton of family farms in competition with those entities. Farms that have been raising and slaughtering animals for decades.

It's not animal torture, it's the damn life cycle. Animals die so that we can live. There's an enormous difference between slaughtering a race of humans out of spite and slaughtering a chicken so that you can have Sunday dinner and everyone knows it -- yet we allow PETA to get away with it for some reason. Disingenuous [censored] like that puts me on instant life-tilt - I'd love to see those PETA holier-than-thou [censored] say that [censored] to a farmer's face.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM

The link provided by entertainme is actually a very interesting read. The head of PETA sounds insane. She calls human breeding, vanity (she sterilized herself at age 22). They don't care about the feelings of people (the example about using Heston's disease as a tool for propaganda).
It is good to fight for animal rights so they don't get tortured, but going to the extreme of bombing research facilities is definitely wrong.
I have grown with pets (or as PETA calls them, companion animals) all my life, I currently have 4 dogs and I love them very much, so I care for animals, but doing research on animals is important for medicine.
The president of PETA from her quotes and from her actions seems on the fringe of society.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The head of PETA sounds insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because she IS likely insane, delusional and just downright annoying.

The best news here is that she sterilized herself!!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that the documentary would have been made and shown on HBO without that type of controversy. I also don't believe that those offended by these types of comparisons would have been swayed in the direction of PETA had she taken a gentler direction. Tactically, therefore, it was the right move on her part, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't watch the documentary but I'm pretty sure I would be swayed more in the if she would take a gentler approach. The thing about these animal rights nuts is their attitude and speech is so condescending and offensive. It turns a lot of us off. Isn't that the opposite of what they want? I guess I just don't get the PETA mentality. Maybe it's because I don't feel passionate about anything so it's hard to relate.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, this is why I do respect PETA and all of the people/ groups (whackos and not) who are out there trying to "tackle" societal issues related to the enviroment, poverty, war, homelessness, etc.

I'm basically a loser in this regard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an important point. We probably do need people like this woman who feel passionate about a cause and who make it their mission to bring horrifying conditions to our attention. I mean how else will laws be changed?

The other day I was looking at chicken in the grocery store and I couldn't decide which brand to buy, Amish or Tyson. I actually stood there and thought about the way chickens are raised, the awful conditions they live in before they are killed. I wanted to make an informed decision but I didn't have any info. It made me feel kind of sick thinking about it to tell you the truth. Damn these shows! They make me feel sorry for chickens. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 12:58 AM

I think PETA does more harm then good by pulling these kind of moves.All it does is give ammunition to label all environmentalist as wackos and nutjobs.It sets back environmental causes that i believe are far more important then if i have a pair of leather shoes or eat a bugger.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:39 PM

and i just had to say to Matt: I've done the same thing - rescuing my dog at great risk to myself. And I didn't even think about it, either.

About twenty years ago my dog and I were walking along a marsh lake in Florida - he saw a gator swimming along about ten yards away and he JUMPED in after the gator!

I jumped in after him and punched the very curious gator on the snout, pulling my dog back to shore. It all happened in a few seconds.

I figured the only reason wasn't gator bait was that we startled the guy so much he just swam away.

I'd do pretty much anything for my dogs...except sacrifice a human life for them (Except my own apparantly!)
Old 11-22-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i just had to say to Matt: I've done the same thing - rescuing my dog at great risk to myself. And I didn't even think about it, either.

About twenty years ago my dog and I were walking along a marsh lake in Florida - he saw a gator swimming along about ten yards away and he JUMPED in after the gator!

I jumped in after him and punched the very curious gator on the snout, pulling my dog back to shore. It all happened in a few seconds.

I figured the only reason wasn't gator bait was that we startled the guy so much he just swam away.

I'd do pretty much anything for my dogs...except sacrifice a human life for them (Except my own apparantly!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dom, You are a hero!
Too bad it wasn't a Tuna in the pond. It would have been lunch time! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I am glad I have never had to do something like this. Closest I have ever come was trying to get my dogs away from a skunk. I wasn't going to charge the skunk but I was sure trying to figure out a way to shoot it without hitting one of the dogs, or the house.

I suppose PETA would be unhappy that I shoot skunks too. I don't care. I'm killing every one of them I can!
Old 11-23-2007, 12:32 AM

PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals amirite?