Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Am I a little crazy or is this normal?

First off, if this is in the wrong section I apologize.

I have only been playing poker seriously for about 3 years now. About 6 months ago I started thinking about poker non-stop. If I'm not playing, I'm watching it on T.V. If I'm not watching, I'm reading books. I constantly try to talk to my friends or wife about poker and they could care less. Lately, I even find myself having a hard time falling asleep because I keep replaying different hands and situations over and over again in my head. Many of my friends and family think I'm nuts but over the last 6 months my game has improved drastically. Is this the kind of mind set it takes to win or am I just crazy? Please tell me there's others like me.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Am I a little crazy or is this normal?

Sounds like me a couple years ago to be honest. And yes that's when my game got good...way I see it everything has a price and what you describe is generally the price for getting good at this game.

It does get better though, now I only think about poker when I'm awake instead of 24/7 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 01:57 PM

It's a pretty normal phase to go through.

However, if after a long period of time, you're still like this but not winning- it could become an issue.

It's kinda like college hockey players obsessing with hockey during their stays at college. It's normal, and needs to be done, but at the end of their term, they have coaches to tell them either

a) they suck

or b) they're gonna make it

Accordingly, they either move on or keep at it.

Poker players don't have the luxury of a system in place to tell us whether or not our obsession is +EV. We've got to decide for ourselves, and it's really important that we learn to evaluate ourselves properly.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:07 PM

I'm the exact same way, and I started playing about two years ago. I'm lucky, though, because my boyfriend got me into poker, and we share the addiction. Plus, I have plenty of friends who play and with whom I can discuss hands, strategy, books, TV poker, etc. I have no close female friends who play, though -- I've always gotten along with men better, anyway [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the exact same way, and I started playing about two years ago. I'm lucky, though, because my boyfriend got me into poker, and we share the addiction. Plus, I have plenty of friends who play and with whom I can discuss hands, strategy, books, TV poker, etc. I have no close female friends who play, though -- I've always gotten along with men better, anyway [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any sisters?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM

Hi Java! I love poker too but my bf isn't into poker. He doesn't get it. So my situation is a little different lol. he loves playing Madden Football and Wii but when it comes to poker -- zero interest.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:53 AM

LOL. Yes, but she's married. She's hot, too! Unfortunately, she's not a poker player.

I've tried to get my girlfriends to play, but they have no interest. They do not understand my addiction.

My bf and my dates are drinking wine in front of our computers playing online poker. We both love it.

For vacation, all I want to do is play poker in Vegas or even 1.5 hours away at Caesars IN!

Janelle, just saw your post. Get him playing!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Thank goodness for this post, i am not the only one then
Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL. Yes, but she's married. She's hot, too! Unfortunately, she's not a poker player.

I've tried to get my girlfriends to play, but they have no interest. They do not understand my addiction.

My bf and my dates are drinking wine in front of our computers playing online poker. We both love it.

For vacation, all I want to do is play poker in Vegas or even 1.5 hours away at Caesars IN!

Janelle, just saw your post. Get him playing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me I tried!! I know exactly how you feel. My girlfriends think I have completely flipped my lid and they are waiting for me to get bored with it... they are so confident that byChristmas time i won't be interested in poker anymore LOL. But they do see the plus side as I bought myself a nice Ralph Lauren sweater with the proceeds... LOl they liked that part!!! They ask me how much I am making and i try not to say because they will want me to buy them something with it as they see it as found money not earned money!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:24 PM

I have the same obsession or compassion and I don't see a problem with it as my game gets better every day.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they see it as found money not earned money!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same problem here, friends constantly asking me to transfer money to their accounts or worse yet, teach them how to play when I know they don't have their heart in it. I have finaly learned to keep my mouth shut.