Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Default 50NL - QQ this doesn\'t feel right

I have once again hit a point where I have the feeling I don't know anything about poker, and am questioning everything I think I know.

So, this is a common spot for me where I don't know what to do.

My QQ gets raised preflop, and I don't know what to do. I have once read that I shouldn't reraise pre, because I would only let villain play perfect.

So I call, and then the flop comes, if flop has an A or a K, I fold if villain leads. If villain checks, I probably bet around 3/4 pot, and give up if called or raised.

If the flop doesn't have an A or a K, I try to get it all in, as soon as possible. A lot of times I will lose to AA/KK this way, but I would also lose to AA or KK if I decided to raise pre, so I don't know how bad this is.

I think my question in this topic is:
How do you play QQ? How do villain's stats change this?

Example hand against a player who didn't seem to get out of line or anything:
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($50.75)
Button ($85.15)
SB ($38.50)
BB ($53.15)
UTG ($20.80)
MP ($26.15)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $1.75, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $9</font>, Hero calls $7, SB folds.

Flop: ($20) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $41.75</font>, BB calls $26.75.

Turn: ($103.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($103.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $103.50
Old 08-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 50NL - QQ this doesn\'t feel right

Given your read that he's a solid player, I don't like the allin raise. I'd fold.

What is his range here? JJ-AA, AK or AQs, if you were stealing a lot maybe AJ too. Because of his large (4,5x) reraise preflop, I put him on a hand he does not want to play OOP: JJ-KK or AK. Your a slight dog against this range. Adding AJs to the range makes you a huge dog. Stove this, if you like.

Furthermore, he knows that he pot commits himself with a flop like this. I say, he's begging for a call.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 PM

i would raise pf or not given his range, he might just 3b light because ur on CO and SB called. Assuming nothing awkward on his stats, i would raise him pf. How u played, imo it depends on his stats/image/ur image .. he 3b pf, even if it was a squeze he will cb the flop so if u dont have more info on him i would assume i would be beat and fold on the flop.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 PM

I think with the caller in between reraising pre is fine. Without the caller in between I would definitely call.

It's not the best flop in the world but he's only got $13 behind that bet and you aren't folding. I'd probably just call cause I think that's the best chance of getting his other $13 in with a hand worse than yours. But again it's only 13 bucks so it probably doesn't matter too much if you just push.

[ QUOTE ]

If the flop doesn't have an A or a K, I try to get it all in, as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't always good. Flop is 2,5,Tr. He c-bets and you shove. Wrong, IMO. Just call. He could fire again with 99,AK,many other holdings. If you shove then the only hand that you are beating that there is much of a chance that he will call with is JJ.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM

the better villain is the better this hand is.

at 100nl+ this is totally standard

against a 23/18 guy or even a tighter guy who you know can squeeze im fine with this. against a 16/12 not so much.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

against a 23/18 guy or even a tighter guy who you know can squeeze im fine with this. against a 16/12 not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hobo, are you saying a better Villain is more likely to call with TT, 99, etc here?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Standard. If you have problems in this spot, you should not be calling with queens preflop.

He is saying that a better villain is more likely to have 99 or TT here.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hobo, are you saying a better Villain is more likely to call with TT, 99, etc here?

[/ QUOTE ]

well 99 is like the nuts

but a better villain is more likely to be FOS in this spot, whereas a weaker player is almost always going to show up with the goods