Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Anyone hear about what happened midtown east last night?

Damn... I haven't played in a NYC club since the busts of 2005. I was planning to venture out to a club tonight for the first time since some friends of mine have been going regularly and it seemed to be safe and no longer in the police spotlight but this looks like bad news... are busts likely to come as early as tonight??!?! (Friday)
Old 06-15-2007, 10:23 PM

I was very sad to hear about this today. It was definitely the nicest place to play in the city. I haven't talked to anybody who was there yet, though. I'm sure it was unpleasant.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn... I haven't played in a NYC club since the busts of 2005. I was planning to venture out to a club tonight for the first time since some friends of mine have been going regularly and it seemed to be safe and no longer in the police spotlight but this looks like bad news... are busts likely to come as early as tonight??!?! (Friday)

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - it could happen any time. Vice squad works in the field Wed - Saturday, these are the most likely days for a raid but anything is possible. I learned this back when I was a partner in a nightclub in NYC, that was the schedule for the task force which was lead by vice and from my personal experiance in a raid it seems like its the same crew. To my knowlege there has never been a real raid on Sun-Tues Historically.

2 - in todays environment if you haven't been in a private club since 05 then its likely you wont be allowed in unless your tight with the owner, they are almost always by invite only now. Security now a days is super tight, only insiders - no new people. This ultra-tight policy that almost all rooms have is for the safety and protection of the players, the staff, and the owners. The robbery is a perfect example of what can go wrong when information is leaked out to the wrong people, and why its so critical that outsiders are not allowed in.

Its sad that NYC has become this way, but the alternative is far worse.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 PM

BTW, they should decriminalize poker clubs in NYC and open a huge 100 table card room in Times Square. It would do really, really well.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At least now this den of inequity is closed for good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night sucked -- and I think the many donkeys would agree that it was a den of inequity -- but I think the counselwoman said (or meant) iniquity.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to try and show off your spelling genius skills be sure to spell all the words in your reply correctly...mohran

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY JENIUS! YOU MIS THE POYNT!

Also, I am not (a) a Councilwoman or (b) a newspaper. I am posting on a friggin poker message board.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 AM

Serious question: why can't they have heavily armed security and just shoot the goddamn robbers?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:19 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question: why can't they have heavily armed security and just shoot the goddamn robbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good question, if you are not legal, why hold back?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good question, if you are not legal, why hold back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... I'm guessing that the penalties might be a little different. Not all illegal activities are punished the same.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Exactly. A misdemeanor promotion of gambling charge is a lot different then the world of weapons charges self defense or not (same reason clubs dont serve booze).

Additionally losing some money in a robbery where nobody was hurt is a better situation then having a shootout in a packed poker room.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:08 PM

Getting robbed is much safer if you're unarmed than if you're armed. Besides, walking into a place with a bunch of armed guards doesn't make people feel safer. It makes them feel uneasy, because there's a need for armed guards.

The travesty here is not that some poker players lost their money. They could have easily gone broke playing poker. The real downside is that now the NYPD will get all uppity, and that this happened at a very nice place to nice people.