Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Overcalling your hand?

A situation came up at Caesars AC this weekend that I thought I was familiar with, but everyone else at the table (dealer included) seemed to disagree with me, although the dealer was far from certain. A quick google search didn't help, so I'll ask you guys.

Pot is heads up, river action goes bet/call, bettor tells the player "I have a straight" and the caller goes "Thats good" and mucks. The bettor then flips over 9 high (to be entirely honest, as soon as he overcalled his hand, he told the guy he was joking and stopped the dealer from killing the hand, so he did not win the pot, it was more of a joke than an angleshoot, but imagine for the purposes of the thread that it wasn't). It was very clear to everyone that the guy knew he did NOT have a straight and was intentionally overcalling his hand. What, if any, is the punishment for this?

I'm well aware that the caller has a responsibility to protect his action, but I was nearly certain that overcalling your hand was against the rules (and not just an angle). What I expected to happen was essentially nothing, the guy gets a warning about angling, the caller gets a lecture about being an idiot and protecting his action, and if the bettor does this habitually he is asked to leave.

Am I way off? Is this seriously something that is entirely within the rules?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Overcalling your hand?

A player intentionally miss calling their hand with the intention of having players fold should be warned and possibly asked to leave depending on their personal record. In truth, I never show until it is my turn, and I never release my hand until I see I am beaten. Just a thought but I have asked a player to leave for this unethical behavior only once in 10 years as a Floor/Shift.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What, if any, is the punishment for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the other player has already mucked, the other player is awarded the pot. If they both have a hand still, cards speak. The overcaller may be given a warning if it was maliciously intended, or a "c'mon, don't be difficult" if it was a gag.

Sounds like it went down correctly.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Sounds pretty standard to me.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What, if any, is the punishment for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the other player has already mucked, the other player is awarded the pot. If they both have a hand still, cards speak. The overcaller may be given a warning if it was maliciously intended, or a "c'mon, don't be difficult" if it was a gag.

Sounds like it went down correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand cards speak, and I understand who gets the pot. I'm just wondering if there is usually a punishment for this sort of obvious angling. As in, it is simply unethical or actually against the rules and something floors will come down on.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:00 PM

At my room, any sort of infraction, minor or severe, is met with the same punishment:

"Don't do that again, or I'll have to come over here and waggle my finger again."
Old 07-29-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my room, any sort of infraction, minor or severe, is met with the same punishment:

"Don't do that again, or I'll have to come over here and waggle my finger again."

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Luckily I play at Caesar's, so the floor threatens whoever I tell them to and wouldn't ever DREAM of saying anything to me, regardless of how serious my infraction was. Unfortunately, I don't ever angleshoot or take any kind of untoward advantage. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Luckily I play at Caesar's, so the floor threatens whoever I tell them to and wouldn't ever DREAM of saying anything to me, regardless of how serious my infraction was. Unfortunately, I don't ever angleshoot or take any kind of untoward advantage. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.