Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Want to buy a Portable GPS system...

I got a Garmin StreetPilot c550 with PokerStars points and it's been one of the biggest disappointments I've ever bought. It gets satellite reception well under 50% of the time and goes in and out intermittently, and as time goes on it seems to be working less and less often.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:47 PM

That's cool. I guess the non-portable GPS systems are out then?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Axim 51v

Dell axim, plus the GPS receiver off of the dell website for 85$.

mp3, bluetooth, wifi, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are using this > 75% in your car, a model made for car usage will be way better
Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Axim 51v

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are using this > 75% in your car, a model made for car usage will be way better

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you figure? I use mine in my car 99% of the time, its great. I bought the suction cup holder, plug in an RF tranciever, and I can play my mp3s, while getting voice directions over the speakers etc, and I have never lost my gps signal. the dell gps is made for car usage btw, you can buy either cable, and everything will probably still be cheaper than a handheld "normal" gps.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Axim 51v

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you figure? I use mine in my car 99% of the time, its great. I bought the suction cup holder, plug in an RF tranciever, and I can play my mp3s, while getting voice directions over the speakers etc, and I have never lost my gps signal. the dell gps is made for car usage btw, you can buy either cable, and everything will probably still be cheaper than a handheld "normal" gps.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my normal attitude is that a device designed to do exactly 1 thing will normally do that 1 thing better than a device designed to do many things.

but judging by your post maybe I'm wrong, I guess I would have to use the Dell like I use mt TomTom to really compare.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Axim 51v

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my normal attitude is that a device designed to do exactly 1 thing will normally do that 1 thing better than a device designed to do many things.

but judging by your post maybe I'm wrong, I guess I would have to use the Dell like I use mt TomTom to really compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I can see this, but the dell is basically nothing more than a mini laptop, you have to know what youare doing to get the most out of it, but functionality and reliability-wise, I think its great and have little problems with it.