Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Battling a Preflop Maniac

it is not as simple as that thou, if as given he did have QJos and spiked a J on the river to beat ur 9s, How would that make you feel? Would you still play your A game? or tilt and not play optimally, whereas you would have before if u just folded preflop...
How would it feel if he tried 2-3 other hopelessbluffs and went busto before u got a shot at wining your money back, (does this guy play regularly? if not wouldnt it be better to wait for a greater edge?)

All those factors imo add up to make this a -EV call overall for me, by calling his all in with only a 1-2% advantage at best is not using your poker skills to their full extent, wait for a better spot and bust him.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:17 PM

agreed, just wanted to discuss where the calling line is, the first response of wait to flop the nuts is not close to optimal. Especially since we are talking preflop. But, even just waiting for KK, AA, isnt best, I would be calling with JJ+ and AQ+ or maybe AK+. Good point about mental affects, because there is no way I would play at the same level if I got stacked. The guy wasnt a real regular, maybe seen him once. But he did go busto on a similar bluff and I felt slighted. I just fantisized he had a small pair under my nines like he did when he got busted, and I sorta wish I called.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 PM

I would say KK+, he isn't doing it very often and you only have 25$ invested. Unless you're soul reading I don't see a point to calling lighter for 200+ BB vs someone you likely have massive edges on postflop. You calling in spots like these allows him to reduce your overall edge vs him and introduced massive variance.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM

I agree that my edge is much higher in other spots such as postflop play. Although, whatI have invested is irrelevant. It is just a decision of whether I think I am +EV and if that edge is big enough to justify the variance for the much money.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:44 PM

tbh this is borderline, w 99, 88 downwards i would say fold given discription, but 1010+ i would prolly snap cal.. But given dynamics at the table and deepstacks i would lean to a fold, although i just made the same call in an w 200bb (2/4) effective stacks against similar opponant discription to be showed 44.
My 9s held up.. but online is so much diffrent to live.. i tilt more live if i play even a little bad..