Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Party $200nl, river bluff = spew?

Hi, since the last time I played serious poker was back in may of 2006 and I've only since played a couple of thousands hands I've been feeling somewhat rusty (which is why I'm "only" playing $200nl). I'm playing on my laptop so no software aided reads.

The guy sat down a couple of orbits ago and has been playing
fairly tight and somewhat passive from what I've noted. I've been playing TAG and since the table is not all that loose I've been playing lots of hands and winning pots uncontested.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($236.10)
MP ($24)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($626)</font>
<font color="#C00000">SB (Villian) ($256)</font>
BB ($228)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, SB (Villian) calls $7, BB calls $6.

<font color="blue">Yawn.</font>

Flop: ($24) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $10</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $10.

<font color="blue">Him betting into 2 players (including the preflop raiser) normally suggests strength to me, but a bet that weak is usually them pricing themselves in w/ a draw or crappy two pair, TPGK or w/e.

I sometimes raise here, but i figure I'd rather see the turn and play some pokah. Besides are they ever folding a hand on this flop to a raise?

My plan is to hit one of my 3 nut-outs or if that doesn't work out hit one of my pair-draw outs and get a hopefully cheap showdown. Since I don't know if he is on the club draw, I'm maybe gonna represent that.
</font>

Turn: ($44) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $55</font>, Villian calls $43.

<font color="blue">Man that's a weak ass bet. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the flush, I think one pair, two pair or maybe (unlikely) even a set. Besides, I probably picked up some extra outs. So I think this is a fairly standard semi-bluff, no?</font>

River: ($154) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero goes all-in</font>.

<font color="blue">Ugh, not exactly what I was hoping for. And that bet... ugh, I hate giving up here. I mean, does it really look like he has a hand that he can back with his stack? To me it looks like at best two pair that was hoping to boat up on the river, but more likely he has some kind of pair + a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and he is hoping he can showdown cheaply. </font>

OK, so that was roughly my thought process during the hand. Now my questions are:

1) Is this ever anything but spew vs. most villains at $200nl? I realize this would probably be better w/ more of a read, but I think the spot looked right.

2) Say instead of that weak-ass bet he checked the river, are we firing again, and how much?

Other comments / flamings are welcome.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Party $200nl, river bluff = spew?

When a bad/passive player donks a street after donking and calling a raise the street before, they're just about never folding. I don't mind the turn play in and of itself - but I wouldn't make it against somebody who seems pretty dumb like this guy. The river is mega spew though. It really sucks folding to such a pathetic bet, but there's no other option.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:15 AM

And he showed you A7o no clubs. LOL PartyPoker.

Fold river btw.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 AM

I don't like any of it.
Maybe try thinking what is he thinking?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 AM

I only read the title but I would say yes.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 AM

fold flop. Really don't like the river play. Yeah it will work sometimes and your going to feel sweet. But don't let small bets trick you into always thinking he's weak. Dangerous board to try and get tricky with.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

HURRRR HURRRRR
HEE HHHAAWWWWWWWWW HURRRRRRRRRRR

LDKJSAKJHALKJHGKSGSG

I HAS A PAIR ZOMGGGCALLZ!!!!!!

HURRRR HURRRRRRR
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold flop. Really don't like the river play. Yeah it will work sometimes and your going to feel sweet. But don't let small bets trick you into always thinking he's weak. Dangerous board to try and get tricky with.

[/ QUOTE ]

flop is fine?
he has some legit outs, some semi-legit outs (overs)
and a ton of bluff outs which he clearly intneded to take as can be seen in the hand...

OP....I like it...even retards seem to be able to fold a lot of hands here.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 AM

OP,

I like your thought process the entire hand, but I think Dire hit the nail on the head here

[ QUOTE ]
When a bad/passive player donks a street after donking and calling a raise the street before, they're just about never folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although he often will show up with some weak ass hand that shouldn't be calling the river, I find that they DO call all to often to make the river shove profitable.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i call

That is what goes through his mind when he plays this hand :P NOTHING!