Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Anywhere you can defend vs the D-bag move?

A d-bag move that's been described in a few posts recently (mostly on NVG): in a NL game a player makes a large size river raise and then says something along the lines of "oh no, I've made a mistake, I just wanted to call, get the floor, I want a ruling, I want my bet back", etc.
The floor comes and says that the bet stands, naive opponent calls the raise and loses to the nuts.

What if when floor gets called you (as the victim) say "I'm happy for him to take his bet back, let that be a call", would that be viable in the rooms you know? Or would the floor insist on enforcing the bet no matter what, even if both players agree on taking it back?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Anywhere you can defend vs the D-bag move?

Heads up, non-tournament, you should be able to let him 'just call', and the Floor would probably allow it.
Shouldn't even get to the Floor.
When he proclaims his 'mistake', just tell the Dealer to let him take his 'raise' back and forget about calling the Floor.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM

right....then when the guy that wants to take his bet back is allowed to, but instead lets it stand, u know you can fold cuz he's got it.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right....then when the guy that wants to take his bet back is allowed to, but instead lets it stand, u take him out behind the woodshed for angleshooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 04-17-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up, non-tournament, you should be able to let him 'just call', and the Floor would probably allow it.
When he proclaims his 'mistake', just tell the Dealer to let him take his 'raise' back and forget about calling the Floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really wouldn't work, the Villian would just insist on calling for the floor right? The dealer doesn't have the authority to make that decision.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A d-bag move that's been described in a few posts recently (mostly on NVG): in a NL game a player makes a large size river raise and then says something along the lines of "oh no, I've made a mistake, I just wanted to call, get the floor, I want a ruling, I want my bet back", etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is now a huge tell. Unless you have the nuts - let it go. If you are on a draw then see if the raise can be turned into a call.

Thanks for the tip about the latest scam.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That really wouldn't work, the Villian would just insist on calling for the floor right? The dealer doesn't have the authority to make that decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha if the dealer says ok, and villain says "oh no, better call the floor", feel free to turbomuck. Preferably into villain's angleshooting cornea, but that's optional.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is a 'mistake', why would he insist?
And if there is no dispute (both you and d-bag agree that it is not a raise), why would the dealer call the floor? Just to get ten players mad at her?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is now a huge tell. Unless you have the nuts - let it go. If you are on a draw then see if the raise can be turned into a call.

Thanks for the tip about the latest scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently a slight twist on this has the d-bag pushing all-in then claiming not to have seen the $100 bills that victim has playing, and saying he was only betting vs the chips.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Player A bets, has 500 left
Player B has 5000, says 'All-in', then says "Wait! I didn't see Player C still in the pot with 5000 in front of him! I meant to put Player A all-in. Can I just raise 500?"

etc.

These are supposed to be "new" angles?

Hint: If the guy otherwise plays like a 'pro', he doesn't make these 'mistakes'.