Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Default American living in Canada still can\'t get a new neteller account

My gf moved from Boston to Vancouver two weeks ago. The plan was to play poker and travel the world. Well...its not quite that easy. 1st she had to create a new bank account here. Numerous canadian banks would not give her a checking account as you have to be a Cdn citizen to do this. Finally we were able to find one bank that would, (with some coersion). After that she called Neteller and asked what she had to do to get a new neteller. Neteller said she has to send them proof of Cdn citizenship otherwise they won't open her account for her. They said that a Cdn bank account is not sufficient enough to prove you live in Canada. They want a work permit or a social security number...so basically she is stressing out as she quit her job to move here and play poker. I can always get someone in my family to create a new bank account/neteller for her but its just a pain in the ass. Anyone else went through this?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: American living in Canada still can\'t get a new neteller account

Get moneybookers and click2pay. Or use the debit card with the checking account.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 AM

First off, I think if your gf did a little more research you guys would have known that getting a Canadian bank account isn't such an easy task. Many banks require a letter of reference and the knowledge that you're actually a resident.

You didn't mention what your legal status is in Canada. That's an important piece of information anyone would need to give you any sort of educated advice. If you're not a legal resident of Canada then you're going to be pretty SOL in terms of getting a Neteller account. You're lucky you even got a bank account.

I've relocated to Europe for work and I've been going through the hassle of trying to get Neteller to recognize that I'm no longer a resident of the US. They've changed the process on me mid-process and can't seem to keep things clear on their end. I get different info every time I call.

The info about being a citizen is wrong. I actually had a heated debate with some idiot at Neteller who tried to tell me that citizenship is a requirement. I had already had several discussions with Neteller supervisors and every one had indicated that proof of legal residence was the only requirement. I've documented some of this on my blog. Just know that some of these dolts don't know the difference between citizenship and residency.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 AM

I had no problems with either setting up a bank account or a new Neteller account when I moved from the US to Canada. You certainly don't need to be a Canadian citizen to open a checking account. Same for Neteller. But of course she'll have to make some phone calls, fax some information, etc. These things don't usually happen in minutes or a day.

It is possible that she'll have issues with Neteller since she's just a visitor and technically not allowed to stay for more than 6 months without applying for visitation extension or permanent residence. I honestly can't remember what was required there. Probably getting mail such as utility bills or bank statements to her Vancouver address in her name (and not forwarded) would be a start.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:28 AM

Just do not try and log in to neteller from the USA...you will be locked out.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just know that some of these dolts don't know the difference between citizenship and residency.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Support uses the words interchangeably.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:09 AM

You would think one would take some of these matters into concideration before quitting a job and moving to another [censored] country.

w
t
f
Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You would think one would take some of these matters into concideration before quitting a job and moving to another [censored] country.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. Details. Details. I want to make the moneys!!!!