Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Detroit - is it really worse than Kosovo?

So I've been approached about taking a job in Detroit. It would offer a very healthy pay increase. I'm wiling to relocate, but, well, this job is in Detroit.

Can anyone out there make me feel better about what life is like there (schools, outdoor activities, live B&M, crime, cleanliness, weather, etc. etc.)? Everything I've ever heard about this city makes it sound like God bent over and took a [censored] right off Lake Erie and boom Detroit was born.

I’m flying up next week to take a look for myself. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Detroit - is it really worse than Kosovo?

most stereotypes are at least partially correct.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 AM
 is offline

I don't think you can seriously compare Detroit to Kosovo. Detroit is a lively multi-cultural community with some of the nicest (and richest) suburbs in the country. Other than inclement weather, it's not much different from most other big cities...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Detroit is two places: The city and the suburbs.

The city is everything it's made out to be, except even more awesome. If you prefer to live life like you're in some kind of mechanistic futuristic horror film (with a rainbow of nationalities), you'll love it. If you're afraid of your own shadow, you should live as far away as possible.

The suburbs are like any other suburbs. They're boring as [censored], reasonably crime-free, adequate schools, chain restaurants, blah blah blah.

The weather sucks for up to six months of the year, the other six months are great. Lots of outdoor activities.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 AM

bonds is pretty much spot on. There are only a couple of areas of downtown that really have anything to offer. If that doesn't bother you, though, settle down in Bloomfield Hills or Grosse Pointe and enjoy.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the quick input guys…If I didn’t have small children this move would be a no brainer. I'll be living it up in the burbs if we make this move.

I figure if I take this job, we’ll have to live there for around five years before moving again. So at the end of the day, my kids would spend a nice chunk of their childhood in Detroit. I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Could one of you guys throw out a list of communities around Livonia that are known to have decent schools and kid friendly activities? The office is based in that city. I’d like to have a small geographic area to explore when I get up there.

Edit for shirt props –

That’s a tremendous shirt, Bonds. Nice find.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54 AM

I'd say look at Farmington Hills, Plymouth, Novi and Northville. All are fine and close by. If you don't mind a bit of a commute, you might even want to look over toward Ann Arbor - it's a pretty short drive from there to Livonia via M-14.

Other Oakland County burbs like Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Birmingham etc are also good choices, but the commute would be a little longer than the first ones listed.

Any of the burbs will have plenty of kid-friendly activities. I'm serious when I say the burbs are like the burbs anywhere else, except we have fewer gated communities. Your kids won't suffer from having lived in Detroit plus they might even discover hockey or the joys of tagging.

One thing you'll find is that Detroit is pretty spread out and if you want to do lots of stuff - hit the museums, catch a Tigers game, go to Greenfield Village - you'll do a fair amount of driving. Mass transit is a non-factor.

I love that T-shirt. I'm just ticked that Google won't find me a pic of the "Have a Nice Day in Detroit" shirt with a .45 cocked against a smiley face.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say look at Farmington Hills, Plymouth, Novi and Northville. All are fine and close by. If you don't mind a bit of a commute, you might even want to look over toward Ann Arbor - it's a pretty short drive from there to Livonia via M-14.

Other Oakland County burbs like Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Birmingham etc are also good choices, but the commute would be a little longer than the first ones listed.

Any of the burbs will have plenty of kid-friendly activities. I'm serious when I say the burbs are like the burbs anywhere else, except we have fewer gated communities. Your kids won't suffer from having lived in Detroit plus they might even discover hockey or the joys of tagging.

One thing you'll find is that Detroit is pretty spread out and if you want to do lots of stuff - hit the museums, catch a Tigers game, go to Greenfield Village - you'll do a fair amount of driving. Mass transit is a non-factor.

I love that T-shirt. I'm just ticked that Google won't find me a pic of the "Have a Nice Day in Detroit" shirt with a .45 cocked against a smiley face.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey pal, not only did we beat you in the World Series, we also beat you in this, so f-off.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:05 AM
 is offline

Anyone paying you a substantial salary cares enough to point you in the right direction once you get there. I was born in Livonia and raised in Troy/Farmington Hills. Your kids will love the area...
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey pal, not only did we beat you in the World Series, we also beat you in this, so f-off.

[/ QUOTE ]