Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Default 3 barrels

Villain is new to table. I think preflop is meh, what about postflop?

Full Tilt Poker
$/$ Limit Hold'em Ring Game
5 Players

<font color="black">Preflop:</font>Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($0, 5 players)
UTG folds, CO calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, CO calls

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, CO calls

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] (2 players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, CO calls

<font color="black">River:</font> 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (2 players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>...
Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: 3 barrels

You beat all busted straight draws, so the only better hands you are folding out are Ks xs, Qs xs, and (unlikely) weak made hands like 44 or 87.

So I don't like this bet *unless* villain often would peel twice with two overcards like KQ and QJ on a low board like this one. You're getting 5:1 on your bluff, and I don't think you are bluffing out a better hand often enough (keep in mind that often when CO folds you would have one at showdown anyway).

It's close enough, though, that it can't be all that bad, especially if it later results in someone calling you down lighter than he otherwise would have. That said, I think most players at 1/2 will continue to make bad calldowns even if you check behind junk 100% of the time.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 PM

I don't think I'd have bet again on the turn, and then I'd have folded if he bet river or checked behind otherwise. Since you just bet, bet, I think a river bet is in order, but you will sometimes get called by K-hi, and no pair or A will ever fold obviously.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:39 PM

I think the turn is close, I bet again here- the flop was all low cards so is the turn so it is unlikely to have improved him. Therefore Ill put him on 2oc's or a draw. After he calls I put him likely on a draw so checking behind on the river seems the only option. Also it is unlikely he'll fold if you be an he has a crappy pair despite the A.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:43 AM

You really need some read to play this hand prefect. With no read I would checkdown the river and be sure to make a mental note of what card villain played.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 AM

I agree about PF, and I think the river is the only questionable street. Turn is a must-bet, at anything below 5-10(that I know of) people are going to be calling the flop with Q4s(not spades) all day and give up on the turn.

River is close, your hand is marginal in showdown value, I just hate checking behind here and getting shown Q5s or something when I know they'd fold, but I do think a check is better.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:14 AM

PREFLOP is close between calling and raising. For instance if I felt that a raise had a good chance of creating a HU pot then I would usually raise. If the Blinds are loose, then I would usually call. Also, If the SB is a bad player I may just call even if a raise had a good chance of getting the pot HU, becuz when I have a hand like JTo, I want as many bad players in the pot as possible becuz thats where the money comes from with a hand like this.

FLOP: Standard bet.

TURN: Standard bet. This guy could be peeling with two overs that will now fold and if this guy has a straight draw then you have the best hand anyways with your Jack high so you get value that way. With no read I'm never checking the turn in this spot.

River: Its close but I would bet. I dont 3 barrel very often but this is the kind of spot I do it in.

I think you played the hand well.