Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: i might be fired?

We can't say what will happen with this guy because we don't know the corporate culture or what's going on in that place. Some places try to terminate people who have been around for a while, to cut costs, as those people are usually more highly paid, even if only by a little. Also, there may be things going on in the company at large that would make the bosses want to fire someone just to put a scare in the rest of the employees. Third bad possibility, someone in the chain of command has a gripe against this guy somehow. Fourth bad possibility, someone in the chain of command has a friend or a relative they would like to hire for or promote to the OP's job(OR the job he's moving to.)

There are tons of reasons to get fired that have nothing to do with whether you're actually good at your job.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have just kept him on the line. You were getting paid and he was wasting time badgering you. To me, this moment would be one of the great joys of the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

At some jobs you are expected to deal with X number of customers per hour, and graded on how many you can do, so some would have to get the guy off the line with all due speed.

But if that's not the case here, wasting some more time with him would definitely probably have been easier for the OP if he remembered that by backing up company policy, he was really the guy in the driver's seat, and he could just enjoy listening to the customer making an ass of himself. However, his company not backing up their employees makes it harder to do that, too. Still, it's better to get in trouble for following company policy than for having natural human reactions. It's easier to justify being a robot than a human.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have just kept him on the line. You were getting paid and he was wasting time badgering you. To me, this moment would be one of the great joys of the job.

[/ QUOTE ]
this thought crossed my mind also, but only after the call. I don't have to take X number of calls. My average talk time is supposed to be X and mine is fine so I I could have sat on the phone with him for two hours but he was just trying to yank my chain and have a power struggle. I shouldn't have let him yank it.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:23 PM

So are you screwed or what?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you screwed or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 PM

I would not be good at that particular job. In response to a question about what year to insert into a statutory citation, my response would be "Hmmm. What I'm hearing is that you're not smart enough to interpret what I've already told you. I can repeat that if you'd like, but our company policy prohibits us from telling you precisely how to cite something. Is there anything unclear about what I've said?"
Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 PM

This is a "legal research firm"?
When you go to speak with HR, make sure they see you carring a folder marked "Wrongful Dismissal in
<u>(your state here)</u>
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 PM

I'm a little surprised that the call center didn't advise you to use a psudonym for your last name.

The (only) call center I worked for way-back-whenever-it-was told us to use a fake last name with the same initial to appease the cranky-callers. I figured this was standard protocol. We also used fake names to sign on letters and such, particularly bulk letters that were signed by some made-up VP.

The fake executive names were a form of code for the nature of the call. If a certain caller demanded to speak with "Lynette Jensen" we knew the call was regarding a specific letter where only that name was used. Senior Vice President of Corporate Associate Affairs, or some such nonsense...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 AM

I work for an internet provider that does a large amount of hotels. This is all I do, talk in a headset and help people's tech support issues. Yes it is a sad job, but it is my current employment. Now obviously you deal with people that pay a lot more money than our clients, but I can totally relate when you tell someone "I can't help you because we do not support that." when all the customer does is argue back.

They act since you are the person they got on the phone my some miracle of punching in phone numbers you will fix everything for them. All I can say is it sounded like you stuck to your instructions, so you should be fine.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 AM

But what did you do wrong..