Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Default DVD Club: IKIRU

Well, I'm a bit cross cos my one has been on order for a while, and still not here, but apparently will be early next week. I've never seen it, only heard good things about it, so dying to, but I can't contribute for now.

So anyone that watched it or has seen it, please get the ball rolling.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: DVD Club: IKIRU

The stuff I'm thinking about mentioning involves lots of spoilers, so ... I'll probably just wait till you see it first.

I really liked it.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 PM

Ah don't worry too much, I know an awful lot about it (I'm a film buff dammit), I just haven't actually seen it is all...

Also, I won't read the thread again till I've seen it.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:49 PM

I haven't listened to the commentary track or read anything about Ikiru but a lot of its seems to be spent on an attack of post-war Japanese bureaucracy. No matter where you are from you should be able to identify with this, but I think Kurosawa must have had some identifialble, historical bone to pick here. Or is this just all Tolstoy? I haven't read the book.

That aside the movie was enjoybable strictly for the human side. I found Watanabe a most sympathetic character. So much so that when the women come to light incense at his wake, I broke down and wept extensively. I even started up again when the cop came in to pay his respects.

More later. Loved all the club scenes.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:55 PM

I loved the club scenes too and I also cried on this one.

The subjugation of the average Japanese to the hierarchy of his society does have a larger historical basis -- heck, a big part of it could even be traced back to an entirely different country, to Confucious. But these things, while never as good when they aren't anchored down solidly in reality, might be best appreciated for their metaphoric subtext. It's not just what's outside that holds us back; that's also a reflection of what's inside holding us back, and maybe of man's fate in general.

Which reminds me of a line from a favorite song by the 80's band, Killer Pussy: "We're all just teenage enema nurses in bondage."
Old 06-16-2007, 02:07 PM

This is frustrating! I planned this to be a movie marathon weekend. I am falling way behind. I wanted to rent Ikiru, Before Sunrise ans Monty Python. But the closest places to me had none of them. I honestly didn't expect to find Ikiru but I thought the other 2 would be slam dunks?

Just letting you know I'm not bailing on the movie discussions, I just don't have them available. For what it's worth I will be rewatching Airplane! sometime today and join in that discussion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2007, 07:23 PM

I think it's time to reinstitute the idea that DVD club selections be somewhat readily available. This one is not exactly mainstream and obviously no one is watching it.

I also think that anyone who votes for a movie and then doesn't discuss it should have their voting rights taken away. I always make sure I vote for something I know I will be able to get and watch.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:41 PM

This is on Netflix, so that makes it easily count as somewhat readily available.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is on Netflix

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone (like me) belongs to an online rental service. I generally don't rent movies. In fact before this DVD club I hadn't rented a movie in over 7 or 8 years.

My point is if it isn't available at places like Blockbuster, Hollywood or Mom and Pops it isn't exactly in the readily available catagory. Also if you don't plan on watching it and discussing it you shouldn't muddy the waters by voting.

Maybe some discussion will pick up here by I have my doubts.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 PM

I sort of feel bad about this Ikiru thing. I didn't participate this time and I've been walking around feeling guilty about it for a week and a half. In fact today I went to Blockbuster hoping to find Ikiru there but they didn't have it. (I did get Before Sunset [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Anyway, I feel really bad I didn't participate in this month's discussion, especially because Fyodor nominated this movie and he's been a great dvd club regular and I certainly didn't mean to disrespect him.

I can understand mrbaseball's frustration. I sort of felt the same way several months back when it seemed like people were happy to vote but then weren't following through with watching the movie. But now I'm one of those people [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]