Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 AM

Default A thank you post

I just finished my first semester of law school. This politics forum was my only recreation over the past few months, and it kept me sane. It's actually been my favorite site since I've been here, but it's given me a place to relax over the last 4 months, and I just wanted to give out a general 'thank you.'

I know it kind of sounds weird, but I look at the regulars here as my friends, even the ones I disagree with. Blah blah blah, okay I'm done. Once again, thanks.

Tim
Old 12-15-2006, 02:17 AM

Default Re: A thank you post

Good ole 1Ls, living under rocks in pursuit of BIGLAW jobs. Ah, the memories.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:28 AM

Congrats. It's all uphill from here. Until you have to actually work, at least
Old 12-15-2006, 02:48 AM

Congrats on completing 1 semester of law school. My old dean told us that we're 80% lawyers after 1 year, which is about right. Once you've learned to "think like a lawyer," the rest is just application.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats. It's all uphill from here. Until you have to actually work, at least

[/ QUOTE ]

Less pressure for sure, but 2L year is an even bigger time drain.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on completing 1 semester of law school. My old dean told us that we're 80% lawyers after 1 year, which is about right. Once you've learned to "think like a lawyer," the rest is just application.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow ... I would disagree with that. I would say we're 50% lawyers at best when we start our first job after graduateion. My experience was that law school poorly prepares most lawyers for actual law practice. Not that you could do without the law school education, but there are so many other skills you have to learn on the job to be a truly good lawyer.

A lawyer might have been in the top 5% of his class, but when the first client calls and asks for advice, the book learning just doesn't cut what years of experience gives you.

NCAces
Old 12-15-2006, 04:29 AM

And my car just got stolen. Wow. Anyway, thanks for the responses.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow ... I would disagree with that. I would say we're 50% lawyers at best when we start our first job after graduateion. My experience was that law school poorly prepares most lawyers for actual law practice. Not that you could do without the law school education, but there are so many other skills you have to learn on the job to be a truly good lawyer.

A lawyer might have been in the top 5% of his class, but when the first client calls and asks for advice, the book learning just doesn't cut what years of experience gives you.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, very good point. What she meant was that you learn about 80% of what you need to get out of law school in your first year. Law school could really be a 1 year program. I completely agree that upon graduating, you know absolutely nothing about the actual practice of law.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished my first semester of law school. This politics forum was my only recreation over the past few months, and it kept me sane. It's actually been my favorite site since I've been here, but it's given me a place to relax over the last 4 months, and I just wanted to give out a general 'thank you.'

I know it kind of sounds weird, but I look at the regulars here as my friends, even the ones I disagree with. Blah blah blah, okay I'm done. Once again, thanks.

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on getting through your first semester. We at BIGLAW look foward to your graduation. I billed 350+ hours in each of the past two months and I need some [censored] help!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 PM

Holy [censored]. That's half of all the hours in a month. Lemme guess: New York?