Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Public speaking

Ladies and Gentlemen of the JJJJuuuurrrrrrryyyy..

Had to bring up the My Cousin Vinny reference.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ladies and Gentlemen of the JJJJuuuurrrrrrryyyy..

Had to bring up the My Cousin Vinny reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the two yoots out of this!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:43 AM

I had the same problem but it went away during the later half of high-school. As several other have said, I think the most important thing is to know what you're talking about really well. If you get to choose your subject yourself then take something that you're really interested in since that makes it sooo much easier to remember without having look at your notes all the time.

Also, if you're allowed to you should use alot of "stuff" or pictures, powerpoint-presentations and thing like that. It really help in getting the audiences attention away from you and onto something else. This really helped me alot.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:04 PM

OP, I have the exact same. It's not that I dislike it or get nervous, it's so much worse than that that it's hard to explain. Anyway, a lot of tips have been mildly helpful to me (although I still won't do it unless I otherwise fail the class):

- Know your stuff!
- Use slides, PPT and other stuff to distract the audience
- Comfort yourself in the knowledge that everybody has to do it
- Seriously, know your stuff, that's the single most important thing.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:18 PM

When you stand up to speak infront of people start by saying: I know you. You know you. And I know you know that I know you. Works everytime.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm intensely frightened of public speaking. Unfortunately, I also just began law school. This phobia almost forced me to decide against law school, but I decided that later in life I would have hated myself for such a stupid rationale. But now that I'm here and faced with the prospect of speaking in front of groups of people it's really all I can think about; I probably won't have to speak for a while but I'm already getting anxiety.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you are getting up to speak, just picture all that tuition money going down the toilet if you don't get over the problem. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As others have mentioned, you need to have your material down pat. You need to feel that you know more about your subject than anyone in the audience.

It also helps to visualize your presentation in advance. Sit in a quiet place and imagine going through the full presentation, picturing yourself in front of the people who will actually be there.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm intensely frightened of public speaking. Unfortunately, I also just began law school. This phobia almost forced me to decide against law school, but I decided that later in life I would have hated myself for such a stupid rationale. But now that I'm here and faced with the prospect of speaking in front of groups of people it's really all I can think about; I probably won't have to speak for a while but I'm already getting anxiety.

Is there any way to mitigate this fear without practicing in front of others? I understand that this practice is probably the best way to get over it, but listening to reason isn't helping.

Anyone? Suggestions? I don't really want to take anxiety medication, but I won't discount the advice offhand.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

same thing for me. but i made it thru law school and been practising for 4 years now. i go to court about 3 days a week and have to speak in courtrooms filled with people and worse, other attorneys and a judge.

it was mortifying at first, but eventually it gets better and easier. the real thing to remember, especially being an attorney, is to believe strongly in what you are saying. confidence and belief is what people want to hear when they hear someone speaking and they can pick it up.

as i said though, there isnt any way to get over it except to do it over and over until it doesnt bother you any more. have faith and be willing to fail a few times until you get better and you might just start to like it. winning motions and trials, especially tough fights, will require you to be a confidant and effective speaker and its a great rush, particularly when the other attorney is a real prick and you want to beat them bad
Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 PM

I have the same problem of OP. I actually loved public speaking in undergrad, I was confident and funny. But somewhere in between, I have grown to hate it and actually get anxiety attacks once in awhile, sweat, and shaking voice. It sucks. I noticed caffeine makes it worse. Now when I have group meetings at work I make sure not to drink any coffee in the morning and it makes it much more bearable. It is such a difference for me. Simply put, caffeine gives me anxiety!!!