Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Public speaking

I'm intensely frightened of public speaking. Unfortunately, I also just began law school. This phobia almost forced me to decide against law school, but I decided that later in life I would have hated myself for such a stupid rationale. But now that I'm here and faced with the prospect of speaking in front of groups of people it's really all I can think about; I probably won't have to speak for a while but I'm already getting anxiety.

Is there any way to mitigate this fear without practicing in front of others? I understand that this practice is probably the best way to get over it, but listening to reason isn't helping.

Anyone? Suggestions? I don't really want to take anxiety medication, but I won't discount the advice offhand.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Public speaking

wtf - the only way you'll get over it is to do it.

have you ever heard of toastmasters? if not, google it and see if they meet anywhere near you. if that doesn't work out, look into taking an effective public speaking class at a local college/university.

anxiety medication? stop being such a puss.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 AM

I've never done it, but i heard Toastmasters is a good way to get better at public speaking. once again, though, u need to practice in front of others. this is what led me to not taking public speaking in high school.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Is there any way to mitigate this fear without practicing in front of others?

Not really. I mean, it's possible, but since there's nothing to be afraid of, it's beside the point.

What's your threshold for thinking "I'M PUBLIC SPEAKING"? Three people? 8?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 AM

they have a toastmasters group that meets here at work every thursday.. several people that i work with have been toastmasters members and swear by it.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 AM

The most effective thing in my experiences in college and law school has been to simply know the material you are speaking about forward and backward. Be able to speak from memory, unscripted. If you have an expert level of knowledge on the subject matter compared to your audience it is very easy to be confident discussing it. If you aren't well-versed, it's easy to get nervous and jittery because you're afraid you're making a fool of yourself.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The most effective thing in my experiences in college and law school has been to simply know the material you are speaking about forward and backward. Be able to speak from memory, unscripted. If you have an expert level of knowledge on the subject matter compared to your audience it is very easy to be confident discussing it. If you aren't well-versed, it's easy to get nervous and jittery because you're afraid you're making a fool of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good stuff!

Another technique while rehearsing your material is to video tape yourself and watch it afterwards, rinse, repeat. This will help you 1) learn your material 2) improve your oration (reduce umms and ahhs, etc,) 3) and hopefully convince yourself that you can overcome your fear of public speaking. This a good way of easing into it without having to speak in front of an audience. Even better, you are practing in front of the toughest audience of all: yourself.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 AM

If other people had to speak as well, I just tell myself that they have to do the same as what I am doing. Kind of like what you do when you are in high school and have to give a speech to the class, and then the next person goes up..etc. Everyone else says they are nervous, so I tell myself not to be nervous because that gives me an edge.

Having this fear is all in your head. You have to figure out a way to trick yourself into not thinking it's all that bad. Public speaking is one of those expectations that are learned from the ideas of others. Public speaking has such a negative connotation that it instantly induces fear. Pretend you don't know what it is like. Be excited about it.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:27 AM

What I like to do when I have to make a speech is imagine everyone naked.

Then I imagine I have a chainsaw. I start the chainsaw up. Lovingly caress the handle, look at the fear in their eyes and start sawing.

Blood raining down all over everyone too shocked to flee the scene gets me through each trouble spot I have in my speech.

Dude,
it's a common phobia. They say roughly 90% of people have a fear of public speaking. The keys to being a good public speaker is knowing your material inside and out, practicing it several times alone, and just doing it. The more you do it, the better off you'll be.

GL dude
Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 AM

I like public speaking, i won a bunch of awards in high school at model un (traveled across the us), just because I am a great bullshitter, and can pander to a crowd. Just practice, know your material, video tape it and watch it repeatedly, and assume that you have the biggest balls in the room