Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff.

OP,

I honestly have no idea where the "you're an alkie" stuff is coming from. You haven't given us enough of a backstory to warrant that conclusion. I know first-hand that stressful situations = more drinking. If you remove yourself from such an environment it should take care of itself.

It's been said, but bears repeating: you're clearly not sold on this law school thing, you're just forcing yourself down that path to "make something of your life". Lame. Five years from now you'd be working 14 hour days at some huge law firm and hating yourself more than ever. Not to mention to do it would require you to move to a totally different place and be surrounded by your EX-GIRLFRIEND'S FAMILY.

Seriously, just suck it up in your current situation, figure out what you really want to be when you grow up (what you like) and do that. You'll be a lot less in debt and a lot happier.

Good Luck man.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 PM

I agree with DrewDevils idea of deferring law school for a year. Sounds like you could use a break.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

I was in much the same position in 2001. In my case, I had just gotten my own degree worth its weight in dung, could not find a job, and found out my longtime girlfriend had been cheating on me. Long story short, I actually do know how you feel right now and you're obviously depressed. If you can choose not to drink, great, because the other obvious part of your situation is that you're self-medicating. This is a bad thing, and will turn worse unless you curb it immediately.

None of us can really give you great advice because a) your situation, even explained at length, will never contain all the information needed, and b) you have to decide for yourself. That said, I want to make a few points:

1) If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't go to law school. It's too much money, too much time, and at the rate you're going you may fail out due to lack of motivation.

2) If you do want to be a lawyer, do it. If this is what really interests you, then the material and your classmates should be invigorating.

3) You don't need to go to law school to be successful. I know your degree sucks, my degrees suck too (both of them!), but masters programs often have graduate assistant positions that will take care of your tuition, making the degree much less expensive. I don't know that this is ever an option in law schools.

If you are an excellent student, going back to school could be very good for a number of reasons. I went to get my M.A. in criminal justice after getting a B.A. in psychology, and it was a great move. First I applied to be a graduate assistant, right around this time two years ago. Then I applied to be a residence advisor. I got the RA job immediately, and had free room and board. I got the GA job the next semester after impressing some professors, and that took care of tuition plus some extra money. I got back to campus and made some more friends. Regular interactions with people, even a little younger, helped a lot. I enjoyed studying interesting topics, improved my writing, did an internship, and turned an all but useless degree into something that is now allowing me to jockey for positions at the state and federal levels after deciding not to pursue a Ph.D. (which you may well consider).

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I'm just trying to get you to discover what you really want. If you really want a law degree, it should be fairly clear. If not, consider your other options and just remember there are more than merely staying at the job you hate. Consider what things really interest you, what job you'd like to have in a few years, and I think you'll begin to have your answer.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

Just say eff it, throw all your crap in your car, and move to Vegas.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 PM

You'll never make it through law school, or any graduate program, if you aren't totally motivated. You have to completely commit yourself to it if you're going to make it worth while.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:07 AM

I think getting out of your current miserable environment, which is constantly reminding you of everything crappy in your life, and getting into something completely different, busy, and fast-paced could be just the thing to make you feel better. Nothing helps a bad breakup like a major environment change. Go for it, and promise yourself you'll give it your best effort. And good luck dude.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:14 AM

Wow I love how the advice in this thread couldn't be more polarized. OP probably wishes he was being chased by cops right now like that guy in Houston so someone could make the decision for him...
Old 07-22-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be going to Mercer in Macon. I decided to apply there because my girlfriend's family is there (and they're basically my family, too).

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean exactly?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:24 AM

Just say "[censored] it", jump on a plane to Thailand or the Philippines, and sit on the beach for a couple of weeks. Those Thai girls will make you forget all about that cheating whore.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:12 AM

Flip a coin. If you are dissapointed by the outcome, then you know which path youd rather take. If you truly dont care, then just do what the coin says.

As for being embarrased or whatever if you end up satyin in chicago....eff that. Who gives a [censored] if people threw you a party and now you arent going. Tell them all the girl you were in love with turned out to be a whore and you cant go to GA. Theyll understand, and after a week no one is going to care either way anyway.

Wish I had something more intelligent to say, just wanted to respond cuz I feel for your situation, I hope it works out for you. just hang in there and do that whole one foot in front of the other thing.