Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff.

im going to law school in the fall and im 95% sure its the right decision. if i was any less sure, there is no way i would be putting myself in that kind of debt. it is fine if you want to be a lawyer, the debt will go away soon enough, but if you pay for law school, then hate it and want to do something else, youre stuck in the position of being a lawyer being the only job that you make enough to pay back loans.

cliff notes: dont go to law school if u have real doubts, you will pay for it the rest of your life (literally and figuratively).
Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
definetely talk to the boss again, and ask for more. Go from there.

I wouldn't want to go to law school in the middle of nowhere, knowing no one, for 6 figures, if i wasn't sure i wanted to be a lawyer.

Got any interests?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can talk to the boss again, but my decision needs to be made Monday. If she's says "no" I'm still in the same predicament, and only more embarrassed if I come crawling back.

My life is nothing to crow about. Law school seems like a viable option.

I like poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd also wouldn't mind grad school in journalism...

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm supposed to start law school in a couple weeks. I now have absolutely no motivation to go. I kind of didn't really want to go in the first place (when I was first applying), because I was going nowhere in life with crappy jobs and I wanted to do something with myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've been floundering around for the past 2 years with crappy jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm depressed and unmotivated.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Every day I feel I die a little bit and that I contribute nothing to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I heard through a friend in HR that she put in a change form for a 10% increase, from 30k to 33k. This made me more pissed and dejected;

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't get over how little, money-wise, they value me. It honestly offends me. Half of me wants to take that miserible 3k raise and wipe my ass with it;

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I drink pretty much every night. I know I'll stop the drinking when in school (I'm not an alci, just to depressed/bored to do anything else), which I really want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim,

Everything you've said above strongly suggests that you have a serious alcohol problem. You are depressed, unmotivated, easily bored, entitled, barely grateful for what you have, and have a habit of drinking every night. You are like the poster child for alcoholism. For all I know, your girlfriend was at the end of her rope as well, for I can't imagine that you were much fun to be around--and likely not interested in even considering the possibility that you had an alcohol problem.

I think that you are right to question whether you are in the proper frame of mind to be making such a huge change in your life right now as a relocation and entry into law school. However, you won't find the answer inside of a bottle. I hope you will consider quitting drinking TODAY. If you can't do it on your own, consider going to A.A.--assuming that you even care enough about yourself to get better.

Sincerely,

Dr. Chess

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoooaa there Dr. I really don't want this derailed into an advice column on alcholism. Drinking is the least of my worries here; it's just one thing to add to the ledger. I promise you there's nothing to worry about. I'm not in denial or whatever. I don't have to drink, I have no compulsion, I don't go through withdrawals if I stop drinking for a week or however long it takes.

My girlfriend treated me like garbage. I did everything to make her happy. Anyone that knows us can attest to that, and some of her friends have already told me she made them sick with this move.

Just to be clear here: I'm not an alcoholic. I couldn't fathom the idea of drinking in the morning or afternoon; the idea makes me gag. Please just take my word for it.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:54 PM

I'm sure this has been said already or is pretty obvious, but why not try and find a job or study that you want to do?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im going to law school in the fall and im 95% sure its the right decision. if i was any less sure, there is no way i would be putting myself in that kind of debt. it is fine if you want to be a lawyer, the debt will go away soon enough, but if you pay for law school, then hate it and want to do something else, youre stuck in the position of being a lawyer being the only job that you make enough to pay back loans.

cliff notes: dont go to law school if u have real doubts, you will pay for it the rest of your life (literally and figuratively).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. Believe me, I understand this.

But I'm looking around, everything's boxed up, there's a nice, cheap apartment waiting for me, school will give me a focus, and it will give me a future. Plus it might actually help me get my mind off of things. But there is the possibility it will make things worse and I'll burn out, which is where my fear lies.

As I said, I was a superb student so I have nothing but confidence in my ability to suceed, all else being equal. But I'm not as confident in whether or not I'll be able to withstand the blow of the work being how I am right now...

blah blah, thanks for the response. I've got so much crap to think over and I can't believe this crap is happening right now, almost as if it were timed to happen at the worst possible moment...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 PM

tim,

About a month ago I was drinking every night pretty heavily. On more than one occasion I passed out sitting on the couch, spilling my drink on myself but not even noticing until I awoke the next day. I would just get so bored at night, and decide to pop in a movie and have some drinks. Even though it didn't impact my social or financial life in any meaningful way, I decided it just wasn't healthy, and stopped drinking almost entirely. Looking back, its pretty obvious I was on a slide right to the bottom of the bottle.

I'm a lot happier and feel better now that I've stopped. I think the "You're an alcoholic, find help" responses to posts always sound a little self-righteous and invasive, but now that my perspective has changed a bit, I can't help but do the same thing. Take 2 or 3 days off of booze, 100%. Then see how you feel.

As for the dilemma for which you seek advice, I'd say stay in Chicago. If you go to school in GA, you're going to be just as miserable as you are right now, except you'll be miserable in the middle of Georgia with no car, instead of in Chicago.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

I just want more girlfriend dirt.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the other half just wants to feel glad I've got a stable job and a pleasant work place, and work on applying for other grad progams and getting on with my life, post-cheating [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 PM

Try doing something with the school before you commit 100%. Maybe they can help you work out something so you can get a better feel of what you want to do. Maybe go down there in a couple weeks and takl to some profs from the Law School - ask for their advice. Do you have to start law school in the Fall- can you start in the Winter after you sat in on some classes or something? Just try to think of somehting you can do that will give you more information about being a lawyer before you competely change your life.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:20 PM

Whatever you do, do not stay at your current job. You sound 100% exactly like I did 4 years ago. I stayed at my job and have essentially wasted the time. I mean, I like my job, I like the people I work with, and at this point I'm making enough money. But it isn't a career, and I'm still left not knowing exactly what I want to do, just because I didn't have the guts to make the change back then. I'm now forcing myself to make some of those changes - but it's even more daunting because I'm older now and have grown more accustomed to my life.

If your current job isn't "it" for you, try something else. I mean, I'm sure you could find something that would pay a similar amount in a different field, and maybe that would point you more in the right direction. But whatever you do, don't allow yourself to stay in a rut. It's on you to decide whether that means moving to a new job or going to law school, but your current job will suck the life out of you. You could very easily wake up one day and think "wtf just happened to the last x years of my life??"

Also, you're drinking. Big deal. When life's about to crush you, you do that sometimes. I don't think you're an alcoholic. And you're ex is a whore. You're better off without her, and you're way better off knowing that now than you would be knowing that later. Get some strippers (at least) to go with the booze. It has a magical way of cleansing the palate.

Sometimes a little self-destruction is what you need to do to reinvent yourself. Just don't let it get out of hand.

-bb.