Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: How To Play Poker From A Restricted Work Computer?

[ QUOTE ]
a coworker showed me the back door

[/ QUOTE ]

HIGH FIVE!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pitbull Poker is web-based. Not sure if there's much traffic. You can get a free $10 and give it a go, just google it.

If they have put a block on you installing any software, I think there's no real way round it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party have a web client too, not very stable though.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am at work and i'm on a very restricted computer. i'm here all night every night and i get very bored. a coworker showed me the back door to use the internet thru kproxy.com but i'm trying to figure out how i can play poker. i tried to dl stars but the coputer blocked it. is there any way to go around it? or is there any american friendly sites i can play at thru a web browser without dling software?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can access a USB stick then install PS on it. Insert into work computer, run the PS program. Enjoy

P.S. In some work computers if you cannot access USB stick, turn off, insert USB, reboot, cross fingers.

GL
Old 10-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Personnel laptop and wireless card. Profit!!!!!! I dont know how stable those are, but I'm sure someone here has more info on them,
Old 10-28-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pitbull Poker is web-based. Not sure if there's much traffic. You can get a free $10 and give it a go, just google it.

If they have put a block on you installing any software, I think there's no real way round it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party have a web client too, not very stable though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do PokerRoom. But he is US-based.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:12 PM

Don't some I.T. departments actually monitor what data is being uploaded?

I kind of got in trouble where I was temping last week. I'd been at some [censored] law firm which had very strict I.T. policies and prohibited all personal use of the Internet. You had to get a special log-on to get past the Symantec firewall. I told them I legitimately needed Net access to do the job, for looking up names etc, so they gave me a pass.

Yahoo email, Facebook etc were blocked. Luckily 2+2 and Blogspot weren't, so as usual I spent all day posting here and updating my blog. One 2+2 post I made had a lot of swear words in, and it got blocked. So they clearly monitored the content of uploaded data.

I was writing and rewriting a blog post, and must have re-uploaded it 15-20 times during the course of the day.

The next day, I get a call from the agency. They said the firm had queried my net usage - she wasn't sure what they meant, but it was something about had I been uploading my work over the Internet? Obviously they saw I had uploaded a lot of data - though, heck, since it was text files not that much - and, I gathered she was saying, though she didn't put it explicitly, were concerned about whether I had been uploading their [censored]-boring legal documents for some nefarious purpose.

I thought self-righteousness was the best defence, plus the consultant didn't really understand what the law firm were saying - though from her description I did - so I just said that I had come to expect firms to have fair usage which allowed me to use the Internet a reasonable amount in my breaks, and I had never heard of a firm that didn't allow this and I wouldn't be prepared to work anywhere like this. I said yes, I had visited a few websites, and posted on a few entertainment message boards, but it was totally unrelated to the work I did for them, which I carried out in the normal way.

I think that's the end of it, and I'm starting another booking tomorrow at a place I've been before which I know is much more laissez fair - they block some categories of sites, you can't install stuff, but they don't monitor how long you're online or your Internet history.

So just be careful - some firms it's no problem, other firms are really hung up about this kind of thing. But heck, if you don't value the job then just go for it. If I was a security guard or receptionist etc, for sure I'd try to get poker going.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Hint: logmein.com
Old 10-28-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am at work and i'm on a very restricted computer. i'm here all night every night and i get very bored. a coworker showed me the back door to use the internet thru kproxy.com but i'm trying to figure out how i can play poker. i tried to dl stars but the coputer blocked it. is there any way to go around it? or is there any american friendly sites i can play at thru a web browser without dling software?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you must, try gotomypc.com . You long onto your home computer. It could be blocked, but poker is played on the server machine.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Won't any clued-up firm block access to GotomyPc.com and Logmein.com?

I never tried using HideMyAss or other website proxies in an office, since I knew that using these sites would in itself be a de facto admission of guilt and wrongdoing.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever company you work at has the ability to monitor your internet usage. The fact that they have set up some kind of a firewall for the internet tells you they don't want you using it for any kind of surfing to sites they block. If you can get a list of proxy servers - surf this at home, and bringthem in- then go and change your connection to use the proxy. This works most of the time. The fact that you cannot load a .exe to your PC means you don't have admin rights to it. To check this just right click on the start buton, and if you see "open ALL users/explore ALL users" then you have admin access, if not you don't. I highly doubt they are gonna grant you admin acess. Bottom line is if they seem to be not wanting you to have freedom in surfing/admin rights, then they are looking at overall usage for stuff like that. Don't do it. Or bring in your own laptop.