Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Ahmadinejad Ground Zero request

I am a politics forum newbie, please help me keep this thread on track because i find this topic very interesting. Hopefully you will too.

Iran's controversial President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has made a request to visit Ground Zero during his trip to NYC next week. Every politician under the sun has condemned his request, and it was denied by the NYC Police Department under the grounds that it is a construction zone off limits to everyone. According to the Iranian mission Ahmadinejad wants to pay his respects by laying a reef.

"It is appalling that President Ahmadinejad, one of the world's leading sponsors of terror, would find it appropriate to visit this hallowed ground," State Department spokesman Tom Casey said.

only problem with that thought process is:

1) al Qaeda is a Sunni movement which opposes Iran's [censored] government. Iran's government has imprisoned numerous al Qaeda operatives, and there is rumor that they have actually cooperated behind the scenes with prisoner exchanges in partnership with the US.
2) Iran was a partner with the US in the Afghanistan raids to topple the Taliban
3) Mohammed Khatami condemned the bombing of the towers on 9/11
4) If there ever was an opportunity to reason with Ahmadinejad, this is it.

Yes its offensive to the average American, but am i the only one who sees the benefits of communication with Ahmadinejad? Something tells me I am probably standing alone in my belief that we have more to gain than lose by allowing him to visit the trade center.

On a related note there is nothing stopping him that I am aware of from entering the PATH station which is part of Ground Zero. If Ahmadinejad wants to he could ignore the snub and lay his wreath anyway so isn't this all a bit ridiculous?

Whats your opinion?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Ahmadinejad Ground Zero request

The guy's been protrayed, rightly or wrongly, as Hitler and Stalin rolled into one. Having him go to Ground Zero would be political dynamite for the administration.

Allowing him to visit Ground Zero could be a way toward diffusing the tensions betwen the two countries. Which is why we won't allow it.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 PM

Do you have a link? I hadn't heard about this yet. I agree with the points you're making 100%. It's extremely sad and a bit terrifying that the social and political situation in the US is such that we would squander a gesture like this.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM

I see no reason not to let him go. Then again, I see no reason we shouldn't be talking to him in the first place....
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Ahmadinejad letter.

[ QUOTE ]
September eleven was not a simple operation. Could it be planned and executed without coordination with intelligence and security services – or their extensive infiltration? Of course this is just an educated guess. Why have the various aspects of the attacks been kept secret? Why are we not told who botched their responsibilities? And, why aren’t those responsible and the guilty parties identified and put on trial?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Gee, Thanks for the Penny....

[ QUOTE ]
2) Iran was a partner with the US in the Afghanistan raids to topple the Taliban

[/ QUOTE ]
There was nothing altruistic about this.
Having a radical Sunni country next to a radical Shia nation is a formula for war. It was like Stalin helping to take Hitler out. Calling Iran a "partner" is a huge stretch. Right now our "partner" has been smuggling shape charges into Iraq which has been VERY effective in slicing through Humvee armor killing US troops.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Mohammed Khatami condemned the bombing of the towers on 9/11

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you believe this was sincere?
If so you are naive. This places you in the gullibility hall-of-fame next to Neville Chamberlain. Have you ever heard the expression 'actions speak louder than words'? Lets look at Iran's actions.
1. Mfg and smuggles shaped charges into Iraq killing US/UK troops.
2. Sends in Iranian agents to forment the Shia insurgency.
3. Has engage in several border fire fights with US/UK troops.
4. Seizing of UK sailors TWICE claiming they supposedly ventured into Iranian waters.
5. Has pledged to eradicate Israel from the face of the earth.

His need to place a wreath at the world trade center site is just a propaganda ploy to fool the gullible nitwit peaceniks. It a is a MEANINGLESS gesture. A MEANIFUL gesture would be to stop killing US troops in Iraq and stop assassinating pro-western leaders in Lebanon....

Based on your argument I should be able to suckerpunch you with spiked brass knuckles, give you a penny, and then you should express gratitude that I gave you a penny....
Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy's been protrayed, rightly or wrongly, as Hitler and Stalin rolled into one. Having him go to Ground Zero would be political dynamite for the administration.

Allowing him to visit Ground Zero could be a way toward diffusing the tensions betwen the two countries. Which is why we won't allow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 PM

i am part of the crowd that thinks ahmadinejad is the scum of the earth, and am skeptical he could possibly have anything but a bad motive.

however obviously our "we hate everyone" approach has sucked. maybe this is an opportunity to have a genuine moment, and perhaps help him and the rest of the world identify with us just a little bit.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something tells me I am probably standing alone in my belief that we have more to gain than lose by allowing him to visit the trade center.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not. Certainly we need to watch our backs, but allowing the wreath isn't automatically going to mean we trust him or even remotely like him anyways.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 PM

We don't normally run propaganda for countries we aren't friendly with