Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Not Save $3,000 In Taxes

I have two different accountants. One is knowledgable, a little unpleasant, and wants me to pay $3,000 more than the other accountant. Two is semi-clueless, experienced, a beyond bad speller, and wants me to pay $3,000 less than the other accountant. This company offers a $25 insurance policy where if they screw up they are liable for the first $5,000. Is it immoral to take the accountant who will file my taxes and save $3,000 even though she is taking deductions that are not legal/correct? She is an expert and I am covered for $5,000 worth of expenses. Due to extenuating (spelling?) circumstances I will have to pay the .5% of taxes late fee if I take the $3,000 cheaper lady. I'd still come out way ahead.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Not Save $3,000 In Taxes

Yes, it is immoral.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:26 AM

Posting this message on this website makes you liable for filing a fraudulent tax return if you choose the one from the hack accountant. There is no statute of limitations for the government on this one. They can track you down 25 years from now and hit you with interest, penalties plus the initial amount. You can also go to jail.

Think about this as well as the expenses you could incur for a lawyer to defend you before you file a return that you know has been prepared incorrectly/illegally.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM

SHE SAID THEY WERE NOT LEGAL?????? Run, Forest, RUN!!!!! If on the other hand you have a person afraid to take any deducts (most of your publically traded tax prep firms) and another that takes legal, but unclear deducts (most good CPA's), use her. IF SHE IS SUGGESTING (or even hinting) ILLEGAL DEDUCTIONS, however, she will be doing your taxes from the joint soon.

$3000 or $30,000 of illegal non-paid taxes just aren't worth the loss of sleep. If you do be sure to buy one of those bars of soap on a string so you don't have to bend over in the shower.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 AM

I chose to pay the extra $3,000. It didn't feel right to choose the cheaper one even though it is always hard to say no to $3,000.