Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Monitor Help

So today I purchased a 19" Widescreen Samsung monitor to hook up to my laptop. I actually have two laptops, one is a Dell Inspiron E1405 which is my primary one, the other is a Gateway that I rarely ever use. Anyway, I got the monitor hooked up adn working, but its set to work with a dual monitor mode. Because of that, it takes the size of my laptop and resizes everything on the other monitor to fit the laptop. I.E. Poker tables. This means that I have the same overlap on 4 tables with the 19" monitor as I do with a 14" monitor on my laptop. How the heck can I fix this problem? Ive tried to make it where my big monitor is the primary monitor but thats not working it doesnt seem like. If I could do that on the Gateway, where the only monitor that works is the big one, I would essentially just use that one as a desktop, so if anyone knows how that works let me know too.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Monitor Help

First of all, what is the max resolution of the 19". Is it 1280x800? Because I have never seen a 1920x1200 19"

If it is 1280x800 then it is the same resolution as your notebook and you will get the same overlap. Your only recourse is to buy a different monitor.

Some 19" have a res of 1680 x 1050. This would be better because you put two tables side by side, but if you used 4 you would still have a vertical overlap. (the tables are about 800x600)

If you want 4 tables no overlap you need a 20" 1600x1200, or a 24"+ 1920x1200. Dell do nice ones of both.

If you have really got a 1920x1200 19" then you are probably outputting to it in the wrong way

You should be using 'extended dekstop' mode, not dual clone display.

Dont use windows preferences manage this, use the software that comes with your graphics chip (nvidia/ati/intel)

you said it wasnt working as the primary monitor but you did not say how.

Im not sure what graphics chip you're using, mine is Intel, and yours probably is not, so I can't tell you exactly what to do, but it's soemthing like this.

also have a look at the monitor FAQ in this forum.