Default Re: FREE THAC

[ QUOTE ]
99% go unreported

[/ QUOTE ]

qfmft
Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gild, i understand these cases will be haphazardly found by mods and dont think people should expect 100% enforcement w/ rules. this rule seems pretty laxed and occasionally enforced even when mods notice it (some mods posted in threads from the last week, some mods were the ones who circumvented the filter).

if the enforcement of the rule is somewhat casual, it would seem the punishment shouldnt be too strict.

and the 75 posts is for the entire site. not just BBV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that mod rule across the site is inconsistent in general, don't really think that is up for debate at all. The way OOT is modded is going to be a lot different than BBV or MSNL.

On profanity, if mods are not enforcing it when they see it they are not doing their job properly and you should report it to Ryan or Mat. All I know is that when I see a profanity filter violation, I deal with it and that's what I'm supposed to do as mod. That's the best I can do and I can't really speak for other mods on why they would or wouldn't do the same.

I respectfully disagree on the statement: "if the enforcement of the rule is casual, the punishment shouldn't be too strict".

If you are speeding in a construction zone, you have X% chance to get a ridiculously huge fine. Maybe that chance is as low as 5%, which you could call casual enforcement. But the punishment ($800 fine or something crazy) and a lot of big scary nasty signs is usually enough to keep people in line so there doesn't have to be 100% enforcement.

If I gave people an hour off it wouldn't be much of an incentive to not do it again. With a lot of experience and consultation with other mods I've come to the conclusion that 1-2 days for profanity filter or 1-2 days for tone is reasonable and effective for dealing with a problem. This particular ban was longer because it was a combination of both.

I have always been open to admitting mistakes, but I believe this is fair and if you don't then I'm sorry but we will have to agree to disagree, or you can take it up with Ryan or Mat.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
99% go unreported

[/ QUOTE ]

qfm[t

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp(rofanity)
Old 10-29-2007, 02:40 PM

Free [censored] [censored] the [censored] [censored] [ censored] Thac
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM

lol what a lame ban.

Banning a solid poster for swearing in a post is so retarded. This should be a warning at most, and then maybe a short ban for repeated abuse.

Obviously nothing will happen, because the ban is short enough the mods can say "lol it's only 4 days!", and they have to look strong and not go back on their word.

So lame.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Free THAC and there will be stakes for everyone! Perhaps staking the mods would help?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Gild,

Mostly I just wanted to take up a cause and fight for the freedom of a good man, hoping it would make me feel like I've made this bleak, dire world a better place. But I also think there's some merit to my argument as well. It's a pretty big mischaracterization to summarize my argument as such when that's just one post I made in this thread; as I stated in the OP, posters shouldn't have to police themselves if the filter exists for that purpose. And really, why not keep us from talking about Scunthorpe, England? Why not just XXXX out any objectionable four-letter sequence and thus keep the mods from having to guess every possible manner in which posters could come up with inventing a new swear word? And btw tea-god, ass and tit are not swear words.

And GW, I do think that a lot of selective enforcement happens on 2+2. I mean, a certain banned poster was posting under a new account for awhile and everybody in the world (including you) knew it was him, and given his prior permabans this probably would be a ban on sight but he stayed in line (for a few weeks anyway) and everything was cool. Nobody was openly admitting it so the mods can have their charade of "lol we don't know who this guy is" and he could post again and we were all happy.

And the thing is, I don't have a problem with that. It's a necessary mechanism which allows you to punish noobs that get out of line too early while giving the more established posters who have earned a bit of trust (I understand the example I chose doesn't illustrate "trust" very well given his multiple bans, but this type of thing does happen) on the site some more leeway in situations like this. So no, I don't think that your generally accepted scale of 1-2 days for swearing and 1-2 days for making a mean insult and then combining the severe end of both of those together to determine thac's ban time is very fair. If it was one day, maybe even two then honestly I think that's fine and this thread wouldn't be here, but being given 4 days off 2+2 would really ruin my [censored] week if that meant I actually had to do work all day.

I'm just saying that thac is a good poster who as far as I know doesn't have any history of being a huge downietard on the forums, and to boot him off for 4 days for a pretty goddamn minor offense is a crappy way to treat someone who I feel has earned that trust I spoke of.

p.s. I think you're a really good mod fwiw and appreciate all the work you do, so don't think one disagreement with a decision of yours is reflective upon my whole opinion of you. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Free THAC and there will be stakes for everyone! Perhaps staking the mods would help?

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT IMPALING AN OCULAR SOCKET?

THATS AGAINST THE RULES IGO
Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 PM

AJmargarine asked really nicely so I am reducing it
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Closed Thread