Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop B

This is Part 2 of Play a Hand with the Masters #3. If you haven't already responded to Part 1 you should do so first.

Setup
$650 PokerStars Qualifier for the PokerStars Carribean Adventure (PCA)
9-Handed
Blinds 10/20
Hero is Strassa
No reads on villain

Stacks
Hero (CO) t2540
BB t3245

Pre-Flop
All fold to hero who has 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and raises to t80. Button and SB fold. BB calls t60.

Flop
Pot: t170

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks. Hero bets t140. BB raises to t300. Action is on the hero.

Flop (Post Check-Raise) Questions

1) Do you fold, call, or raise (and why)? If you raise, to what amount? Putting aside a fold for the time being, there are certainly merits to both calling and raising so please spend some time on your thought process here.

2) His range of possible hands is obviously pretty huge but if you care to speculate feel free?

3) If you call or raise and he calls, do you have a plan for future streets?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop B

I'd call, then possibly raise a safe turn card depending on his bet size.

Raising is ugly here I think, as he pretty much folds everything we are beating, and jams with what we are losing to, and maybe a big draw.

I sort of wrote my thoughts on this in the first post.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Do you fold, call, or raise (and why)? If you raise, to what amount? Putting aside a fold for the time being, there are certainly merits to both calling and raising so please spend some time on your thought process here.

2) His range of possible hands is obviously pretty huge but if you care to speculate feel free?

3) If you call or raise and he calls, do you have a plan for future streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Call, basically because I think if we raise TT can fold a fold. It may increase variance because you are letting semibluffing villains draw, but I think it also allows you to get away from a dangerous turn card.

2) Can't really put him on a hand yet. He's check-minraised (basically) on a board that looks like it missed AK. He has two cards.

3) [If he bets,] I'm pushing any blank turn, and making decisions based on his bet size on non-blank turns. [If he doesn't bet, I'm betting something like 1/2-2/3 pot.]

edit: noticed pot size, my answer to number 3 was a bit silly.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 PM

I had a raise plan. It was call and riase most turns. The reason is that I think we can get him to make a bigger mistake on the turn and also find out if we are counterfeited or the flush draw shows up.

hand range: 89-A9, 55-TT, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A5-A8, T8, J8, 86? 87,67,56.

Turn plan on a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 9 is to fold a 9, call a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. 8 or 6? Geez, I don't know. i think I raise 8 or 6.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:53 PM

Raising here is total spewing. I'm calling.

I plan on 2/3 potting it if checked to on any nice turn (low rag, paint card, 7 or 5). It really looks like he's either got top pair here or a low pp, also a possibility is just a fd or fd with the overcards. He likely put you on big cards or a high pp so he's trying to define your hand range.

In just calling the flop, you further mask your hand and ring off alarm bells to villain, so you'll probably get to the river free and press where you want to.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3) I'm pushing any blank turn, and making decisions based on his bet size on non-blank turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

750 in the pot, and you will push 2200 into it on the turn on a "blank"???? Is an A a blank? 6? 8? T? K?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

3) I'm pushing any blank turn, and making decisions based on his bet size on non-blank turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

750 in the pot, and you will push 2200 into it on the turn on a "blank"???? Is an A a blank? 6? 8? T? K?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain pots it, it won't be a overbet.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a) i edited, i meant if villian bet out on a blank turn.

b) a/k are blanks in my book, 6/8/T are not.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 PM

I'm calling and raising on the turn
Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 PM

1) I am re-raising him here, t500 more to t800. The reason for this hand is because, once again, its hard for him to put me on such a hand, and this could get him to commit with a hand like A9o. The biggest reason is because I want to simplify things after the flop. I dont want to have to worry about dodging cards If I flat call. I dont want to play any guessing games. By re-raising here, I am commiting myself, but I am also commiting him just about to calling off the rest of my chips. If I flat call here, and the turn is an awful card, I might have to release the hand when my hand might be good at that point. (due mainly to being out of position) I am also comfortable taking the pot at this point.

2) Too wide to even attempt to say. He could have a set, a straight, two hearts, an under pair, overcards, TPTK, TPWK, middle pair. We could go on and on. I think the most likley hand he could have is top pair with a decent kicker, or a draw.
3) Yes, sticking my money in on the turn.