Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Philosophical Question about Consciousness

Scenario:
John Doe dies today. Immediately afterwards, in another part of the world, Jane Smith is concieved.

Philosophy # 1: When John Doe dies, his world has ended. When Jane Smith is concieved, her world has begun (out of nothingness).

Philosophy #2: John Doe is reincarnated as Jane Smith, but without any memory of John Doe, or any physical/psychological connection to him.

Is there a difference between the two philosophies?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Philosophical Question about Consciousness

Yes.

At X time A ceases to exist and B starts to exist.

does not logically give:

A is B.

Your no memory of past life will only give grounds to conclude that there is no practical difference to the two possible scenarios (no reincarnation or reincarnation). They obviously don't have to be the same.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 PM

point taken. you are right.

change question to: Is there any difference in implications between philosophy #1 being true and philosophy #2 being true?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:19 PM

Without a mechanism for proving #2 it is no different than #1. As long as you can't prove #2 then there is no implication to it being true.

If your memories aren't making the jump what is? If you define that the implications of it being true IF it could be proven would be clearer, as is there isn't much there.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

change question to: Is there any difference in implications between philosophy #1 being true and philosophy #2 being true?

[/ QUOTE ]

As you stated the question (no physical or psychological connection) there isn't a difference in implications. If it happens or not is not something that could change our lives to a large degree, you would need faith to believe in it.

If you could prove that this reincarnation actually happened, then the implications would be massive as we would have to redefine how we look at life and death. And by prove I mean fail to find to reasonable doubt. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it happens or not is not something that could change our lives to a large degree

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you could prove that this reincarnation actually happened, then the implications would be massive

[/ QUOTE ]

you appear to contradict yourself. perhaps rephrase in such a way that you don't.

i would say: there is no difference in implications, except in how we think of ourselves. or, said another way: the knowledge of the truth might have implications, but the truth itself would not.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your memories aren't making the jump what is?

[/ QUOTE ]

million-dollar question? what constitutes "me"? just my physical/biological characteristics? if so, then am a different person at age 30 than i am at age 10?

is there such a thing as "truth" here- as it pertains to the 2 philosophies? can one be any more or less correct than the other? or is it a matter of how we frame it in our minds, a matter of the analogy we use to understand our existence?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

million-dollar question? what constitutes "me"? just my physical/biological characteristics? if so, then am a different person at age 30 than i am at age 10?

[/ QUOTE ]

I say, yes, you are.

AFAIK, there's not a single atom in your body at age 30 that was there at age 10. The atoms that will make up your body, biomatter, brain, and therefore memories and consciousness, in 30 years from now are out there, somewhere too.

In that way, we are more like a "wave" than an ongoing, "real" thing. That boggles my mind.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I say, yes, you are.

AFAIK, there's not a single atom in your body at age 30 that was there at age 10. The atoms that will make up your body, biomatter, brain, and therefore memories and consciousness, in 30 years from now are out there, somewhere too.

In that way, we are more like a "wave" than an ongoing, "real" thing. That boggles my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may find this interesting:

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ts65/paper...n_identity.pdf
Old 11-22-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your consciousness.